Dewalt 18v Batteries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Dewalt dc725 with 2 x 18v 1.3ah batteries, my question is can i use say a 18v 2.4ah battery in the drill without damaging it? surely 18v is 18 v?

Sponsored Links
It will say the charging capabilities on the spec plate underneath, but in reality I've found that even the lower rated chargers will charge the larger ampage batteries.

Sponsored Links
I have a Dewalt dc725 with 2 x 18v 1.3ah batteries, my question is can i use say a 18v 2.4ah battery in the drill without damaging it? surely 18v is 18 v?

volts= the car engine ah/amp hours = the fuel tank

with dewalt you have nmh nicad and li-ion batteries and chargers in that order
your batteries and charger must be compatable
check your charger if the new battery is a different chemistry

To charge, depends on cell composition. If were talking lion for both 1.3 and 2.4ah, then yes, but it will take twice the time to charge it.
As for using it in the drill, is not that simple. You really have to do some research, and find out where exactly the voltage cutoff circuit is located. If it is in the battery for both the 1.3 and 2.4 ah, then go ahead. But if the 2.4 ah is designed for another model which has the low voltage cutoff and monitoring circuit inside the drill body, then you`ll fry the batteries the first time you`ll use them, as there will be nothing to shut them down when the voltage drops to a critical level.
In 99% of modding like this, there is something to go wrong. Unless the 2.4ah battery pack isnt designed as a direct upgrade for your drill, you`d be better off selling your drill and getting the one you want with a better battery.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back