Dewalt battery adaptor charging help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a pile of the old dewalt 18v cordless tools and my last battery died, so if I buy the 18v to 20v adapter and a new 20v battery can I plug the battery & adapter into my old 18v charger to charge or any help on what you did to get a new battery for these ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
It is not safe to charge modern 20 volt Lithium Ion battery packs on chargers designed for NiCd and NiMH battery packs - you risk overheating the batteries and having a fire. Search YouTube to see how violent a Li-Ion battery fire can be. So if you go this way you will need an appropriate battery charger

Your old batteries can be recelled and there are a number of firms in both the UK and USA offering this service (I am assuming that you are somewhere like the USA because DW Li-Ion batteries in Europe are sold as "18 volt", whilst in North America they are sold as "20 volt")

The disadvantage of using Li-Ion
batteries on older tools through an adaptor is that the tools contain no battery protection circuitry. That means it is possible to drain a Li-Ion battery down to the point where it can no longer charge (about 1 volt), at which point your battery is toast

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not safe to charge modern 20 volt Lithium Ion battery packs on chargers designed for NiCd and NiMH battery packs - you risk overheating the batteries and having a fire. Search YouTube to see how violent a Li-Ion battery fire can be. So if you go this way you will need an appropriate battery charger

Your old batteries can be recelled and there are a number of firms in both the UK and USA offering this service (I am assuming that you are somewhere like the USA because DW Li-Ion batteries in Europe are sold as "18 volt", whilst in North America they are sold as "20 volt")

The disadvantage of using Li-Ion
batteries on older tools through an adaptor is that the tools contain no battery protection circuitry. That means it is possible to drain a Li-Ion battery down to the point where it can no longer charge (about 1 volt), at which point your battery is toast
Thanks I’m in the UK sorry for the confusion you wouldn’t happen to have any links to refurbished batteries and thanks for setting me straight about charging
Thanks

There was a firm called Recell, plus a couple of others I've used. I am on my mobile at present, so it isn't do easy for me to do the lookups, but when I get home I'll post some links.

There is also the option of non-OEM batteries, but with those I've found that what you gain in lower cost you tend to lose in shorter life and/or weaker casings, so, at least from the point of view of trade use, you don't gain anything in the longer term

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back