18V Dewalt compatible batteries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know of a good make of power tools that can use Dewalt's 18V XR batteries? I have two Dewalt tools (bought on offer, cheap) and 4 batteries, and trying to shop around for more (cheaper) power tools that might be compatible, because of all these batteries I have. Ha, maybe even an adaptor if there is such a thing.

Sponsored Links
Does anyone know of a good make of power tools that can use Dewalt's 18V XR batteries? I have two Dewalt tools (bought on offer, cheap) and 4 batteries, and trying to shop around for more (cheaper) power tools that might be compatible, because of all these batteries I have. Ha, maybe even an adaptor if there is such a thing.
Or sell the spare batteries, if you don't need them they have good resale value.

There are one or two Chinese knockoff tools around (mainly impact drivers, impact wrenches and angle grinders so far as I can see) which use Makita batteries as well as similar tools for Milwaukee and Bosch batteries, So logically there should be DW compatibles as well. This is a sample Makita knock-off

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
So not only you have compatible batteries for branded tools, you also have compatible tools for branded batteries! And I have discovered you also have battery adapters so you can buy, say, a Makita bare tool, and use your Bosch battery on it.

Sponsored Links
Yes, but there are caveats - if you use an OEM tool + same OEM battery you get a working battery protection system which ensures that you can't over discharge the battery, nor overheat it. Any other combination won't guarantee that and aftermarket batteries and tools have no protection whatsoever (although I know from experience that Makita battery protection still works even when on a non-Makita pin compatible tool such as the impact wrench I posted above because I did at one time have a very similar snide "for Makita" impact driver)

But there will always be some tools which can't be used with an adaptor because the battery and a converted won't fit, like this Makita DRS780 dual battery saw which seemingly has shed loads of room:

Makita DRS780 Batteries Out.png

until you put the batteries in and see how tightly they are fitted:

Makita DRS780 Batteries In.png

or the Makita DVC750 shoulder portable vacuum which has a battery compartment with a cover:

Makita DVC750 Vacuum Compartment Open.png
Makita DVC750 Vacuum Compartment Closed.png

So caveat emptor!

Powerhouse had 20% off on ebay and often those dewalt batteries come up on offer. Think it's still on

Last week

DeWalt Genuine DCB182X2 Pack of 2 18v 4.0Ah XR Li-Ion Battery Packs £82.30 eBay on ffx shop

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back