Can I expect different DeWalt tools to use the same battery packs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pride of my small tool-set is a "DeWalt DCD785C2-GB 18V 1.5Ah Li-Ion Cordless Combi Drill XR" it's the only thing I didn't buy a cheap brand. As I come to expand my tool-set after moving to a larger house/garden I'd like to invest in decent tools as they're likely to get a lot of use and I was wondering, if I stick with DeWalt is it likely they'll use standard battery packs so I can have a couple of batteries on charge and just slot them into whichever tool I need? Or would that be far too easy...?!

Sponsored Links
Yes, although 1.5ah is quite small and will run down quickly on high-powered jobs. Look at getting your next tools with a 3ah minimum battery or two and you will notice the better run times.

Jon

So would all 18V tools tend to use compatible batteries - obviously a 24V one wouldn't?! The one I got actually came with two batteries and they charge up very quickly which is great, but my thinking was I could invest in a couple of really good battery packs, make sure one was always on charge and put the other in whichever tool I needed.

So would all 18V tools tend to use compatible batteries - obviously a 24V one wouldn't?! The one I got actually came with two batteries and they charge up very quickly which is great, but my thinking was I could invest in a couple of really good battery packs, make sure one was always on charge and put the other in whichever tool I needed.

All mainstream tool companies use a common battery platform now depending on voltage. All of dewalts XR/LiIon 18v batteries and flexvolt batteries are compatible with all their 18v tools.

Sponsored Links
Does that mean batteries are interchangeable between tools from different manufacturers too, or only that each main company has now come up with its own proprietary standard for its own products?

Does that mean batteries are interchangeable between tools from different manufacturers too,

No, they physically don't fit. And brands change their designs every couple of years, so even ones from the same manufacturer won't work if it is an old set you have.

Pretty much all manufacturers have switched from the older style push in battery...

$_35.JPG

to a slide-in battery pack style...

dcb182x2.jpg

But it gets worse, even up-to-date equipment is not always compatible, e.g. Bosch's 18v green range batteries, do not fit Bosch blue 18v tools, even though they are both slide on packs, both the current range and both still for sale.

The only brand who are committed to making sure everything is compatible over the years (except the chargers, you must use the newer chargers on newer lithium batteries) is Ryobi's 18v range.

Gaz :)

yeah very true until recently Dewalt were one of the better manufacturers on the compatability front, but even they have finally succumbed to the slide in type

yeah very true until recently Dewalt were one of the better manufacturers on the compatability front, but even they have finally succumbed to the slide in type

I don't think that's a huge issue, eventually all manufactures will change fitments, it's all part of R and D, I think the question was would a makita battery fit a dewalt tool, well of course it wont, will a vauxhall vectra starter motor fit a ford mondeo no it won't and to think it should is just plain daft, what we have though is standard fitment batteries across the range, I'm a dewalt fan boy and all my tools are the newer XR type and every XR battery i have will fit any of my XR tools with the exception of my 10.8v XR stuff, they will only take 10.8v XR batteries from 1.3ah, 1.5ah and 2.0ah, the 18v XR stuff will accept any 18v XR battery 2.0ah, 3.0ah, 4.0ah, 5.0ah, they'll even accept the 54v flexvolt battery so in that respect one battery fits all.......just like ryobi

I agree was just saying that dewalt kept their batteries the same over several generations of battery whilst others switched around.
kept users more loyal to the brand.

Actually lots of car parts are usable on different manufacturers.

Remember when every mobile phone and device had a proprietary cable and charger, was it daft that they all switched to usb?

Why is it daft for them to standardise on batteries when they do on drill bits and see blades? It's not, it's a good thing for everybody.

I agree was just saying that dewalt kept their batteries the same over several generations of battery whilst others switched around.
kept users more loyal to the brand.

Quite the opposite. DeWalt lost a massive UK market share because of how long it was before they decided to use Lithium batteries. That's where the XRP Lithium batteries came from, a quick fix to try and hold on to the pro-market.

And according to my local dewalt outlet that lithium xrp battery the 'nano' blew the other manufacturers lithium batteries out the water as the only lithium system to have chips inside stopping them from discharging beyond the critical point where it would render the battery useless, the tool would just stop dead and would not let you prodeed, I believe even Makita didn't have that tech at that time, someone may confirm on here that there was a thread once about the early makita batteries failing due to over discharging them, dewalt were a bit late coming into the lithium market but the story went that they wanted to perfect this tech with the help of Sheffield university.

someone may confirm on here that there was a thread once about the early makita batteries failing due to over discharging them, dewalt were a bit late coming into the lithium market but the story went that they wanted to perfect this tech with the help of Sheffield university.

Yeah that was a common issue. I can't remember when it was but they did solve the issue with star protection. I think flexvolt is DeWalts new trail to try and pioneer the cordless market; however they have a lot of competition from Milwaukee; not on the same level as such but Milwaukee seem to be doing a lot with their 9ah battery. Even Bosch is having a crack at the high capacity market.

Yeah that was a common issue. I can't remember when it was but they did solve the issue with star protection. I think flexvolt is DeWalts new trail to try and pioneer the cordless market; however they have a lot of competition from Milwaukee; not on the same level as such but Milwaukee seem to be doing a lot with their 9ah battery. Even Bosch is having a crack at the high capacity market.

DeWalt also dabble in the 9ah battery too,

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back