Dewalt Drill (DCD797) Battery Runs Flat When Not In Use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per the subject, I have a Dewalt 18V "XR" drill, model DCD797, and almost whenever I go to use it the battery has run flat while it's in the case. I have several other Dewalt tools that share the same batteries, for example an older drill and an impact wrench DCF899. None of these show the same issue. All genuine Dewalt batteries. If I pop the battery off the drill before putting it in the case, it's fine when I next come to use it.

What does the panel think, is my drill faulty, or do the latest Dewalt tools flatten the battery when left? I'm talking about up to a few weeks, so I guess a trade user would never notice.

Thanks, Tony S

Sponsored Links
i dont have an answer, BUT i wonder if its the new Tool Connect, bluetooth thats running the battery down, I dont have any dewalt with that feature , BUT I do know on older computer kit / phones , that used to be a problem with bluetooth uising a lot of battery up. I had an old samsung phone which connected to the car bluetooth kit back in 2007/8 and used to run flat with the bluetooth enabled while i was out and about, so i got into the habit of switching bluetooth off.

Although i tend to leave the battery OFF my tools in the case, in summer , But now i tend to bring them indoors now, having read that they do not like low temperatures , left in garage , and i guess cars etc.
BUT not trade just an average DIYer

i have never had any tool flatten a dewalt battery in store but to be fair most batteries are stored on a rack but on the odd occasions leaving 4/5 and 9ah for a few days i have not noticed a problem
the only time i did get a problem was when i used a converter to use old tools on new batteries it ruined one

now i tend to bring them indoors now, having read that they do not like low temperatures , left in garage , and i guess cars etc.
They certainly don't like sub zero temperatures, I killed a few batteries some years back when I was off ill during a really cold snap and left some of my 18 voltLi-Ions in the van.

I know someone who has bought into the Makita Bluetooth connected vacuum and tools and he says that the tools do seem to drain the batteries faster even when they are not being used much, so maybe a Bluetooth thing where the tool is constantly trying to connect and failing

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Thanks. I've asked Dewalt, as the drill has nearly two years warranty still. I hadn't thought about the Bluetooth aspect, I was under the impression that needed compatible batteries to work, but that may not be the case. This is actually my only tool with that capability. By the way, I'm talking about a few weeks in the case not just a few days. All the batteries are small either 1.5 or 2AH, but they last OK in everything else, including the impact wrench which I think is the most power hungry device.

Likewise my Makita 18 volt torch drains the battery when it is fitted but not on.

Blup

Likewise my Makita 18 volt torch drains the battery when it is fitted but not on.
Interesting. I have an DML805/1 worklight (the 110v/18v version) but it doesn't seem to do that

They certainly don't like sub zero temperatures, I killed a few batteries some years back when I was off ill during a really cold snap and left some of my 18 voltLi-Ions in the van.

Do you bring your batteries indoors in winter time?

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back