Dewalt batteries black and yellow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Dewalt combi drill from about 3 years ago. 18v was about £150. It has the black lithium battery's.

I'm looking at a Dewalt angle grinder now that comes with the new yellow lithium battery's.

Sorry for lack of model details.

Will I be able to use the new yellow battery's on my drill?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
you need model numbers really
years ago i would say yes but now who knows ??
is it a slide on or a 2ah clip in battery pack ??

My drill has 1.5ah slide in battery's. The angle grinder has 2ah slide in yellow.

If the battery's fit they will work won't they?

The ah rating is like a fuel tank bigger number lasts longer but as long as they are all 18v it's ok.

yes if they fit they should work but i am not that genned up on newer dewalt so better to do an actual battery tool compatability check

Sponsored Links
Is your tool the older XRP type or the newer XR, both the tool and battery will have this on. The older XRP tools were backward compatible when dewalt discontinued the old ni-cad XRP battery and briefly introduced an XRP lithium battery, think they called it the 'nano phosphate', this new battery had the same fitment and would power the older ni-cad tools after all a motor is a motor doesn't matter how it's powered. However though to complicate things even more the old ni-cad charger was not forward compatible with the lithium nano battery but a lithium nano charger was backward compatible and could charge an old ni-cad, the technology was within the charger and would sense which battery was on charge, eventually though dewalt changed the way the battery went on, this line of tool was the XR, an old XRP battery whether ni-cad or the lithium nano phosphate will not fit the new XR tool.

Old ni-cad....
download.jpg

Old nano phosphate lithium....
DEW-DE9180.jpg

As you can see the fitment is the same so the newer battery would fit the older tool.

The latest XR battery....
4180LBbVOeL._SX355_.jpg

This battery will not fit the older XRP tools, will only fit the latest XR line of tools

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the detail crank 39!

My drill has xr batteries so same fitting as the grinder I'm after. My concern was the difference between my slide on early xr batteries which are all black and the newer ones like your pic above which are now yellow and have the power meter on them.

And now there is also flex volt to add to confusion!

The black and the black and yellow are all compatible I'm led to believe. The flexvolt 54v/18v will fit to, the battery senses which tool it's in and makes the necessary adjustment between voltages, bloody clever stuff from dewalt at the minute, I have the 54v grinder and it's a beast.

Saw this at my local dewalt shrine the other day.....

Aye it's pretty amazing stuff. I think the battery powered mitre saws just superb. The freedom with tools like that really is a step change.

Since you've mentioned the grinder. I was looking at the basic cordless 18v. I have 1.5ah batteries but was going to buy a 2ah battery. I want this predominantly for clearing out pointing in awkward places up scaffolding mainly a chimney top coping stone thats made in 4 pieces. This is to avoid running extension cables and having the extra hassle of moving them when I move.

It's small detail work I'll be using a diamond stone cutting disc. Do you have any ideas if this will be any use?

Cheers

Can't speak for the dewalt 18v grinder but all the guys at work were bought a whole bunch of ryobi kits which included a grinder, every single one went in the bin, the grinder just like a planer or trim saw/circular saw are high draw, put the disc against a brick and the battery just died, think they were 2Ah but not sure, I will stick my neck out and say a dewalt would fare better than ryobi but by how much I don't know, I'd imagine with a 4 or even 5Ah battery in it it would handle raking out, the 54v 6Ah will cut paving slabs in half, it's my new favourite tool

Can you get to a local dewalt dealer where they could let you play with one or even loan you one to test

No unfortunately. I can get one for £103 online so will go for it. If it's really unfit for purpose I'll just have to return it at my cost!

Thanks a lot for your help.

Cheers

i have the old dewalt grinder and it brilliant for cleaning out ultra thin blades but you will need at least a 4ah battery preferably 6ah worth off capacity 2+2+2ah 3+3ah or 4+2 ah
my suggestion is at least 3ah batteries if you want to finish without running out off power before the battery on charge is finished

I've two 1.5ah and one 2ah. I should be able to pick bits out and cut others etc

The plus side is for my application it doesn't have to be amazing. If it saves a few trips up and down the 30ft scaffold and is safer for me to use up there with no cables it's worth it.

Might just need to add a few extra tea breaks which won't be a problem with our current cold weather!

But with your comments I'll at least go armed with all batteries fully charged. Be like something out a war film reloading every few minutes!

Cheers

the trouble you have because its a heavy draw tool you can almost throw away 1ah per battery as unusable power for the grinder so a 4ah will give you 3ah a 3 will give you 2ah with a 1.5 being close to useless at 0.5ah
now you dont loose the power it will still run say a drill or other medium power tools for quite a long time

look at the wattage off the tool on the dewalt website
http://products.dewalt.co.uk/powertools/productdetails/catno/DCG412N/
the tool is 405w
at 18v 18w for 1 hour is 1ah
180w for 6mins is 1ah
360w for 3mins is 1ah
so you get the idea a 1.5ah battery if the battery is brand new and the grinder is only using an average 50% power will use 200w so a 1.5ah will last anywhere between 2 mins and 6 mins so average maybe 4 mins and at full load about 2 mins

Sh*t! I saw a few places selling them with 2ah batteries so thought it would be ok. I might need to order a big 5ah then.

Next problem. Will my charger for the 1.5ah battery's charge the other xr batteries of 3ah 4ah 5ah etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back