Dewalt DC725 v DC727 - 18v combi drills - or makita 8391d

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - having just been to b&q to buy a new drill i ended up getting an 18v DC725 for £99 with 2 x batteries. (dc100ka)

they also had a lithium drill - dc727 - with only one battery for £130 and i wondered if id have been better off getting that as it is a new model???

it makes sence to have 2 batteries but i wonder will the lithium battery last longer?
what is the advantage of lithium over non lithium??

i also had the option of a makita 8391d for £99 with 2 batts.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Lithium-ion batteries are lighter. That's about it. You actually bought the better drill, the DC727 has less torque. The battery life is identical, and you got two of them.

thanks for that info!

still smiling at the fact i own a dewalt, walked out of b&q grinning from ear to ear ..hahaha!!

Sponsored Links
hahaha - yes i heard that before - although the black n decker in b&q was £85, i actually went in there to get a bosch drill i saw on offer in the paper for £85 from £150 and they didnt have the same offer and that was when he pointed out the makita and dewalt for £99

i nearly bought the same used makita on ebay, used, for £80 so im glad i got a new model!

this bad boy should last for years....... right, where can i make some holes :)

hahaha - yes i heard that before - although the black n decker in b&q was £85, i actually went in there to get a bosch drill i saw on offer in the paper for £85 from £150 and they didnt have the same offer and that was when he pointed out the makita and dewalt for £99

i nearly bought the same used makita on ebay, used, for £80 so im glad i got a new model!

this bad boy should last for years....... right, where can i make some holes :)

So they had a similar Makita for the same price as a DeWalt, and you bought the DeWalt? Are you quite mad!? Although I'm a big Bosch fan, I'd take Makita and several other brands over DeWalt all day long, the build quality on DeWalt in recent years seems to have become shockingly bad, I suspect they're doing too much part-sharing with B&D, don't expect it to last as long as you think it will...sorry to pee on your bonfire

aaah so you think the makita might be better than the dewalt???

really?

i thought makita and dewalt were on a similiar level but dewalt being a little ahead on the " its cooler to have one" factor.....

Being 'cool' won't make it perform better or last longer, and everyone knows they're B&D in a dinner jacket so the 'coolness' point is very debatable anyway.

The Makita you're looking at has a very slightly lower spec than the DeWalt, you can 'only' drill 36mm holes in wood as opposed to the DeWalt's 38mm, but that's about it. I think you get three batteries with the Makita though, which can be handy if you're doing a lot, and as batteries can be the first thing to break the extra should extend the overall working life as well.

But yes, Makita over DeWalt every single time

well i can take it back - ive only taken out of the box to look at it so i could return it if you think that is wise. . . .

so makita is better than dewalt! i didnt know that!

no this makita only has two bats. .

thanks

from a personal point of view,i ve had both makita and dewalt,and unless your spending upwards of £200 id go for the dewalt,
in the price range your in there all pretty much the same,as long as they do what you want it to do.if its something that is only going to picked up and used at weekends then id say its ok.
now if its being used for trade use then ITS GOTTA BE BOSCH ALL THE WAY.

oh and another make you might want to look at,which another member will no doubt suggest is ryobi. ;)

Being 'cool' won't make it perform better or last longer, and everyone knows they're B&D in a dinner jacket so the 'coolness' point is very debatable anyway.

But everybody knows that makita are SITE in a dinner jacket! ;)

I've got that makita drill. can't wait for it to break again so I can replace it with something decent. Can't comment on the dewalt but I can at least give you some piece of mind that the Makita is certainly not any better. Worst drill I've ever owned. Gonna get an AEG next, my mate has one and it makes the makita feel like a kids toy.

it seems everyone has a different opinion - some love makita, some dont, some love bosch yet some of the reviews ive seen on bosch, dewalt seems alot better.

In B&Q all 3 are on sale and at around the £1oo mark all 18v combi with 2 bats.

i want it for drilling some holes and screwing in some screws, im not in the trade so its not going to be used all day everyday, it will prob be used on weekends - i just want something thats going to last!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back