Dewalt DC725 v DC727 - 18v combi drills - or makita 8391d

Sponsored Links
oh and another make you might want to look at,which another member will no doubt suggest is ryobi. ;)

yes ryobi or dewalt 18v because
you are talking about occasional diy use
with both ryobi and dewalt the batteries and tools are backwards and forwards compatable
where as other make bring out new kit that have new fittings on the batteries so not compatable

another point in the ryobi favour os 30 toys for the home and garden that fit the one plus batteries :D :D
http://www.ryobi-oneplus.co.uk/

I'm a dewalt man myself and am currently on my second and third..
the first I donated to my dad when I upgraded it after 7 years of good service..

the second is an XRP that cost me about £250 with 3 2ah batteries.
the third is one of the ones you have, on offer from B&Q and purchased more for the batteries than anything, but it gets used for screwdriving duties and such.. saves swapping the bits over..

I have two Ryobi drills with nicads that fail to hold the charge so i went and bought a Makita Li-ion drill in March which was on offer at B & Q for £100.
yesterday i used it for only the second time and drained one of the batteries so put it onto charge,
As i switched it on it fizzed a bit made lots of smoke and then went bang!! :eek:
So i took it back today and got a Dewalt 727 with rhe li-ion battery.
I did look at the Bosch drill but was a lot more to buy and as i have a few Dewalt tools already and they have served me well i stuck with them

Sponsored Links
i have just bought the de walt 18v fom b&q for £100.
i have had 2 of the makitas 8390 18v both have let me down in the same way.
that is the chuck would become loose when i applied pressure on the bit.
this seems to be a common problem with this model there is always 1 or 2 for sale on ebay spares or repair with this problem.
im hoping for better luck with the dewalt
i could have had a hitachi with 2 lion batterys for the same price.
have i made the right choice?

You can easily change a chuck for a lot less than £100, certainly without repeatedly buying new drills..

it seems everyone has a different opinion - some love makita, some dont, some love bosch yet some of the reviews ive seen on bosch, dewalt seems alot better.

In B&Q all 3 are on sale and at around the £1oo mark all 18v combi with 2 bats.

i want it for drilling some holes and screwing in some screws, im not in the trade so its not going to be used all day everyday, it will prob be used on weekends - i just want something thats going to last!
Yes, I'm quite confused myself now! seems like everyone has differing views. guess its "you pays yer money and you takes your choice. Then its how often its abused, the rest is luck maybe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back