15 degree shallow pitch roof dripping water onto gable end

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have a 15 degree roof on our kitchen extension, using sandtoft 20/20 tiles. When it rains some water drips off the gable end and down the bricks and over the patio doors. The builder says it wasn't in the architect plans to do anything about this. The architect says the builder should have angled the last row of tiles up slightly to prevent water run off at that end as this is 'common practice/knowledge'.

Who's right?!

Our kitchen extension is approx 6 m out from the back house wall and 4 m wide from apex to side wall where there is a gutter. Most water runs down to the gutter but a significant dripping is goin down the bricks making them go 'salty' - what is this? :?: :idea:

Sponsored Links
Photos please, its not normal to slope the tiles up at the gable at least I've never detailed it that way and never seen it built that way, you will always get rain dripping off a gable end!

Hi, I'll try and get a photo to you.

The roof is so shallow that the water runs off the side of the tiles and down the wall and doors, it certainly doesn't look normal.

cheers

Most roof's I have seen have the last tile or two slightly raised to encourage water to run down the tiles and not off the end I always assumed this was traditional method. Though I did not do this on my garage roof but the overhang is large enough so any drips don't hit brickwork.

Sponsored Links
Photos please, its not normal to slope the tiles up at the gable at least I've never detailed it that way and never seen it built that way, you will always get rain dripping off a gable end!

Actually, it was a traditional detail on plain-tiled roofs - McKay shows it in one of the older volumes. It was done to help shed water away from the gable end, though with modern profiled tiles, it may not be so necessary.

Yes, overhangs a bit, but the tiles are flat like slates. The water kind of follows a path under the edge of them and down the bricks (capillary style?)

Run a bead of silicone along the underside outer edge of the verge slates to form a drip.

That will prevent the rainwater tracking under and down the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back