15 mins free parking on double yellows

If the disabled can walk all around the shops for 2 hours they can walk to the car park.

Sponsored Links
If the disabled can walk all around the shops for 2 hours they can walk to the car park.

And I would agree with that Joe, however, this is a typical general overview of what people think. However, once you have experience of caring/living with a disabled person you might see that not all of them are capable of this. I did say, GENUINE disabled people, some of whom can only stand/walk for a short period of time due to something like a spinal injury from a car crash or similar accident. Genuine ones will fight through pain to maintain their independence rather than depend wholly on someone else. These are the ones that will suffer.

some people with disabilities simply dont walk around for hours they plan the route between seats
this will preclude some shops as they are to far from a seat
then you further add the load factor they may only be able to manage 2 light carrier bags so may have to revisit the car 2 or 3 times so a 2 hr shop may be 10 mins for an able bodied person

Don't shop there then - go to a retail park and park outside the front door. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
We drove through Bath once in very heavy traffic. We came to a big box junction where we were turning right. Further up the road we were turning into there must have been another set of lights that were on red when our lights were on green, but on green when the traffic opposite us were on green. Therefore the exit from the junction we needed was never clear. We had no choice but to enter the box while the lights were on green, despite having nowhere to go, if we hadn't we'd have literally been sat there for hours.

I've had similar experiences locally. At busy times (and not so busy for that matter) you can wait to go straight on over the box when the traffic ahead clears. In the meantime, the lights change and traffic from the right (it's a T-junction) enter the box, which I think is legal if you're turning right. Then the lights go to green and you can't get in. By the time they begin to leave the box, our lights have gone back to red.

Fortunately, there are no 'fine cameras' at that junction - yet - so in practice we just enter the box and wait! Still, I think they need to re-think how these things work.
Surely you know you can sit on a box junction when turning right?
So where's the problem.?

The rule is that you can wait in a box junction to turn right if the exit is clear and only oncoming traffic prevents you from completing the manoeuvre.

We drove through Bath once in very heavy traffic. We came to a big box junction where we were turning right. Further up the road we were turning into there must have been another set of lights that were on red when our lights were on green, but on green when the traffic opposite us were on green. Therefore the exit from the junction we needed was never clear. We had no choice but to enter the box while the lights were on green, despite having nowhere to go, if we hadn't we'd have literally been sat there for hours.

I've had similar experiences locally. At busy times (and not so busy for that matter) you can wait to go straight on over the box when the traffic ahead clears. In the meantime, the lights change and traffic from the right (it's a T-junction) enter the box, which I think is legal if you're turning right. Then the lights go to green and you can't get in. By the time they begin to leave the box, our lights have gone back to red.

Fortunately, there are no 'fine cameras' at that junction - yet - so in practice we just enter the box and wait! Still, I think they need to re-think how these things work.
Surely you know you can sit on a box junction when turning right?
So where's the problem.?

The problem is that I'm going straight on! Read again!

How can 15 minutes of free parking re-vitalize town centre shops?
In 15 minutes, you can't shop for a tv, or a new jacket or curtains. It will only be of use if you want to nip into the convenience store for a pint of milk and a paper. And most people just doing that will park on double-yellows anyway.

I have a bike and car so I get to see and feel roads to the max. I decided that driving/riding here is expensive and time consuming. Road markings are placed with the intention of safety and to assist in traffic flow. If yellow lines are there ignoring, them is just ridiculous. The question I have is, these shops on the high st are there because of custom. What makes them think by clogging up the street it will improve?. Maybe they should just accept that overcharging to pay for the rent or sub standard products are the real reason along with the net. I pay for the net, I get as good as all I need straight to my door. Another favourite on council brains is putting bus stops in places that mean passing is impossible.

The only way to revitalise town centres (or prevent them from dying before it's too late) is to provide car parks of adequate size and at reasonable cost.

I suppose that has never actually occurred to them. Their heads are in the clouds; they believe we should all use buses, bicycles or feet.

This is a slow and planned strategy to try and ween us off using private vehicles and wasting the precious stuff in the process before it runs out. For high streets to survive they have to give what the folk want at a price that is acceptable. Considering most of us live in the suburbs getting there in the first place adds to the cost. In addition who want to go into town when it's full of horrid people

Sponsored Links
Back