15 or 22mm pipes for loft boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently changed my rads. boiler is in the loft (converted to bedroom, so also has a rad). I took out some lengths of 22mm pipe on the first floor and replaced with 15mm.(it was a mess and noisy so decided to replace it while changing to new double finned rads) I cant seem to get all the rads hot particularly the two furthest away on the ground floor. If i shut all rads off the two furthest get nice and hot. as i try and gradually crack open the lockshields on the rest the two furthest cool off.
Set up as follows:
loft- 1 rad and trv
1st floor - 3 bedroom rads with trv's and 1 bathroom towel without trv
ground - 4 rads without trv's
boiler worcester 35cdi
digistat on coldest part i.e- landing first floor

Downstairs takes ages to warm if at all. upstairs TRV's set only to 2 or 3 (not max)
Should i put the 22mm pipe back in across the first floor to increase flow or is the pump not up to it. I understand you can get in line pumps. Advice please!!

Sponsored Links
You may need to reinstate the 22mm pipes, depending on the total load being carried. roughly speaking 15mm pipes will carry up to 6 kW with an 11 C temperature drop. A greater load will result in a greater temp. differential.

My guess is that the problem is a bit more complicated. There might be air or sludge inhibiting the circulation. You may need to get a competent heating engineer in to assess the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back