150x150x5mm or 150x150x6mm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to tile the bottom of a wall in my bathroom, hence the purchase of new tiles is required. The tiles currently at the top of the wall are 15x15cm, however I am having trouble measuring their thickness. Those are either 5 or 6 mm thick.

My question: do 15x15cm wall tiles usually come as 5 or 6mm thick? Is there a standard?

The bathroom was tiled in the 80s, hence I cannot find the same tiles and I am trying to get the best next thing.

Thanks a lot,
Ant

Sponsored Links
When measuring tile thickness on the wall, don’t forget the adhesive will be 1-2mm thick. There is no standard tile thickness as far as I’m aware but I would expect the average thickness for a 150mm tile would be nearer 6mm than 5mm. It shouldn't matter, as long as you err on the thinner side you can always make up the difference with adhesive using a suitably sized notch trowel.

Make sure you use quality trade adhesive & grout, the own brand & DIY stuff is mostly crap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back