15mm JG Speedfit Layflat - how easy to push under floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Adding a new rad. and to potentially avoid lifting most of a living room hardwood floor + boards I think that I can feed the new 15mm pipes the 5 metres they need to go. Will be going parallel to the joists, so no worries about hitting anything solid - the only (hopefully :unsure:) tricky bit will be feeding pipe along the gap of about 6 inches between the deadening and the bottom of the floorboards.

Looking to use the JG Speedfit layflat - is it quite easy to feed?

(I have some speedfit already but not layflat and off the coil it retains too much shape, so would be impossible to use - hence the reason for hoping layflat is the answer :love:)

Sponsored Links
Layflat is only relative...it doesn't really. Buy straight lengths instead. 6m ones are available

argh - that's a bit of a pain as I also have to feed the pipe behind some skirting then back out to the new rad so 6.5m or a bit more in total. was hoping to do most in continuous pipe to lessen any hidden joints. the layflat also looked like it could be bent round things quite easily - surely their promotional video isn't making grand claims :evil:

Why not buy a set of cable rods and use them as a mouse with a pull string attached to then route the barrier pipe?

Sponsored Links
Warm the cols up in a bath of hot water then unroll and weight down till cool, or bend them backwards against the bend, you'll be surprised how flat you can get it.

Protect the pipe when pulling through, where the fitting will sit against scratches and scoring otherwise you may get a “weep” under the “O” ring.

Protect the pipe when pulling through, where the fitting will sit against scratches and scoring otherwise you may get a “weep” under the “O” ring.

sage advice - was planning to tape-up the parts likely to be connecting. think i will try and borrow a cable rod set and first see how easy it is to travel the distance, and possibly use string to help depending on how easy/difficult - with layflat being possibly the best of a bad bunch.

Another tip, when using a drawstring/wire is to drill a hole in the top of a pushfit stop-end and feed the string/wire through the hole and tie it onto a small washer (or the like) and then put the stop-end on the pipe you want to pull through... you can also grease it all up... this way, the rounded edges of the cap, pulled from the centre, and greased up will have less chance of catching on any bottlenecks/edges.

argh - found out last night that despite the joists all running the correct way i quite quickly hit an obstacle :cry:. am hoping it is just a cross brace and since its close enough to my starting point I can cut through a board and make a few notches, then it will all be clear after that.

otherwise I either lift a lot more flooring or remove a whole load of skirting to run the pipes - neither is very appealing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back