15mm pipe in 22mm flow/return

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I had a plumber in today to run the flow/return to my two manifolds. One for UFH, and the other for upstairs rads.

When we had the boiler installed a few months back, the original plumber left a couple of tails to run to the UFH manifold which I told him I was installing later. For some reason he put in 15mm tails.

Now, the plumber I've had in today has left those in and run 22mm pipe from them. Can someone advise as to whether this is going to reduce the flow? In my mind it will, but I'm not a plumber, and would like to get some advise before calling him back.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0248.JPG
    IMG_0248.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 915
Sponsored Links
Common sense says that 15mm in a 22mm run will reduce the flow, but without knowing the complete setup, it's difficult to at definitely yes or know.

That was lazy work. I assume he had to drain the system down to add the new pipe. It would have been easy to heat the 22mm to 15 reducer, and remove it, then carry on with 22mm, and the job would have been even easier, and much neater.

Thanks Doggit

System is 4xUFH loops, total of 55sqm a towel rail and twin rad from one manifold, and 4x rads off the second manifold. So the flow/return has to service all of this.

I agree, it does seem lazy work. I do as much of the work at home as I can, but the gear I needed to buy to drill and fit the 22mm pipework wasn't worth it so thought I'd get a professional in to do it

Aside from that, they've also left a right mess. Left solder underneath the joins on the carpet, and melted the carpet too from dripped solder. It's only the carpet in the back of the airing cupboard, but that's beside the point.

Sponsored Links
I can see you won't be using them again. You'll either have to wait and see if there's an issue, or get someone else in to sort it out; unless you want to confront them, and get them to redo it properly.

No, I won't. I haven't paid them yet, so will get them back in to do it properly. I'm not paying twice for someone's shoddy work.

Could redo that bit myself, but again, besides the point. It should've been done right the first time

Good attitude. let us know what happens. And tell them just because the carpets in the cupboard, doesn't mean they shouldn't protect it from solder.

I've just spoken to him, and he's coming back to rectify it. I haven't mentioned the mess yet, but will do.

Also have to negotiate on his original quote, as he said he was going to do it all in copper, but when he came in this morning, he said it was too much work for a tight section and would run plastic instead

Sorry, but that's rubbish. He can run the RH down pipe behind the plastic pipe, and the LH down pipe will go in front. He needs to heat the old joints and turn them at the same time so that they loosen, and he can then wiggle the joinst apart. He then needs to clean the old pipework up, make up the new pipework, and use a slip joint to get on to the 22mm pipe he's just installed. If he uses heat barrier spray (Cool Gel), and a heat mat, he can then protect the wall and everything around it.

Sorry, but that's rubbish. He can run the RH down pipe behind the plastic pipe, and the LH down pipe will go in front. He needs to heat the old joints and turn them at the same time so that they loosen, and he can then wiggle the joinst apart. He then needs to clean the old pipework up, make up the new pipework, and use a slip joint to get on to the 22mm pipe he's just installed. If he uses heat barrier spray (Cool Gel), and a heat mat, he can then protect the wall and everything around it.

Oh, sorry it's not this section that he said couldn't be done in copper. It was another section that was all done in plastic due to space restrictions.

The boss has been in himself and resolved the 15mm pipe issue, and added a couple of drains that were missing also. Still waiting for the bill. Will see what that comes to!

Having a short length down at 15mm isn't going to be a huge restriction - the speed of the water increases through the 'restriction' then slows down again when back at 22mm. The reduced pipe size does present more pressure loss per metre.... but not enough to get a hard on about.

Nozzle

You're probably right Nozzle, but you give these bustards an inch, and they 'll take a mile.

Also have to negotiate on his original quote, as he said he was going to do it all in copper, but when he came in this morning, he said it was too much work for a tight section and would run plastic instead
The boss has been in himself and resolved the 15mm pipe issue, and added a couple of drains that were missing also. Still waiting for the bill. Will see what that comes to!

so did you tell him about the plastic then at the same time ? or are you just going to argue the toss when the bill hits your floor ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back