15MM SHOWER FEED........POSSIBLE OR NOT............

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:eek: HI PEOPLE, QUESTION FOR YOU.
CLOAKROOM TOILET/BASIN.......... CAN I FIT A SHOWER USING THE 15MM HOT AND COLD FEEDS TO THE BASIN.
THERE IS NO ELECTRIC (EXCEPT LIGHT) FOR PUMP.
DOESNT MATTER IF SHOWER IS NOT THE MOST POWERFULL, JUST WONDERED IF IT WOULD WORK.
CHEERS

Sponsored Links
Are you looking to supply a shower cubicle - in which case do it properly; or over a bath - in which case use a mixer tap.

Either way, it's not clear how good a shower would be since you haven't described whether you have a combi or cylinder, nor whether the cold water from the tap is mains or low pressure, with hot water low pressure. Without this info, how can anyone really give a clear answer?

Are you looking to supply a shower cubicle - in which case do it properly; or over a bath - in which case use a mixer tap.

Either way, it's not clear how good a shower would be since you haven't described whether you have a combi or cylinder, nor whether the cold water from the tap is mains or low pressure, with hot water low pressure. Without this info, how can anyone really give a clear answer?

(caps lock off. lol) yes it would be to fit a shower cubical, the cold is mains fed, and hot is via a combi. i feel confident in re routing the existing 15mm pipes, but not confident re running supplys in 18 or 22.
Thanks for all comments so far.

Sponsored Links
Do you know what your mains pressure is?

If high enough I see no problem with using 15mm feeds to the shower, providing it's just a normal valve, hose and head, not a fancy super duper body jets and steam generator jobbie.

You can't pump mains supplies, if the flow is not enough you'd have to look for a different solution.

18mm pipe ?!?! :confused:

Do you know what your mains pressure is?

If high enough I see no problem with using 15mm feeds to the shower, providing it's just a normal valve, hose and head, not a fancy super duper body jets and steam generator jobbie.

You can't pump mains supplies, if the flow is not enough you'd have to look for a different solution.

18mm pipe ?!?! :confused:

wow that was a quick response, cheers.
not sure what the pressure is, but only after a very basic shower, as it would be only for guests. looks like its possible, which makes me happy. :).
i probally will have to enlarge the 15mm to a size suitable to fit into the back of the shower. am i best to do this last minute or as soon as i divert the existing 15mm. approx 6ft away from proposed cubical.........?

I'm assuming you mean that your shower valve may have 22mm or 3/4 inch bsp connections. As the majority of the feed will be in 15mm, I'd deal with any incompatibility at the shower end, as 15mm pipe is cheaper!

If the shower valve fits onto the pipes with no attachment to the wall itself, I'd make the last 18 inches or so 22mm copper and clip it firmly so it would be nice and secure without any wobble.

It's best to use a thermostatic valve with a combi, and I'd avoid any valve that says it's for mains pressure or pumped only, in my experience the waterways in these valves are somewhat restrictive.

I would also make sure that the shower hose is a full bore one (~11mm internal diameter). Some cheap ones are around 7mm internal diameter and can again be quite restrictive.

I'm assuming you mean that your shower valve may have 22mm or 3/4 inch bsp connections. As the majority of the feed will be in 15mm, I'd deal with any incompatibility at the shower end, as 15mm pipe is cheaper!

If the shower valve fits onto the pipes with no attachment to the wall itself, I'd make the last 18 inches or so 22mm copper and clip it firmly so it would be nice and secure without any wobble.

It's best to use a thermostatic valve with a combi, and I'd avoid any valve that says it's for mains pressure or pumped only, in my experience the waterways in these valves are somewhat restrictive.

I would also make sure that the shower hose is a full bore one (~11mm internal diameter). Some cheap ones are around 7mm internal diameter and can again be quite restrictive.

ok. all makes sence now, thank you for your time and effort, and anyone else who made a comment-loosing your time to help me.
hopefully i can help others and share the wealth etc..
:) :) :)

Well now we know!

I 'd get yourself a shower tail fixing kit (try screwfix) - will make your life a whole lot easier to secure to the wall. Also, don't forget to fit service valves to enable you easy maintenance etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back