15mm to 22mm with pump.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to buy a Salamander ESP 100 CPV pump to boost my presure. looking at its spec all its inlets and outlets are in 22mm. Checking my pipework in airing cupboard some cold is 15mm and hot is 22mm. Will it be okay to convert the 15mm to 22mm for the sake of the pump and back again? Whats the impact of having 15mm pipework when using a pump designed to use 22mm? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sorry - I'll try again. Basically what I am saying is that the pump I want is designed to work with 22mm pipes and some of my pipes are 15mm. So can I convert to 22mm size a couple of inches either side of the pump? and .. what impact does having 15mm pipes when using pump that normally pumps through 22mm..

Just read that again and its still not very clear - don't know how else to put it :(

Sponsored Links
The pump will be used to put some presure into my termostatic shower mixer (which also fills the bath via a 'waste filler' in 1 x 15mm pipe)

just a quick check - are both the hot & cold supplies tank fed? Worth checking as if the cold feed is in 15mm then there is a chance that you have main fed cold and tank fed hot

Yes, where does that 15mm cold come from!!?

If you starve an ESP by too-small pipes on the inlet side, you can damage it, and it'll leak. Outlet side not so important - it all goes up one shower hose.

hi guys - sorry for delay - have just got back from an evenings work at the site..

The 15mm pipe comes from a 25 gallon tank directly above it in the loft which also feeds the hot water cylinder.

well if you cold tank only holds 25 gallons then I wouldn't put a pump on it - it'll be empty before you get in the shower!

yep - probably should have mentioned - today was to look at size of tank - it will be replaced with a much bigger jobbie . Your right 25 will not last long at all!!

newboy said:
well if you cold tank only holds 25 gallons then I wouldn't put a pump on it - it'll be empty before you get in the shower!
Hogwash - it would take about six minutes for a 20l/min pump to empty a 25 gallon cistern, assuming that the water level is 20% below the top, and assuming that the incoming mains has been cut off.

Factor in the mains, conservatively, and you should be able to increase that to nine minutes, and if that's a problem then you could always turn down the shower flow control a bit. :rolleyes:

right ho - i bow to your greater knowledge - i was using the salamander installation guide for reference - they state a 50 gallon minimum. However I have read elsewhere on the internet that they are well known for overspeccing requirements... I like short and wet showers so will give it a go with current tank before upgrading then...

Whoa there - my comment recklessly neglected to point out that you take a risk if you don't follow the MIs - if you starve the pump and damage it then you'll have no comeback to the manufacturer.

My comment was intended to point out that it's ridiculous to imply that 25 gallons is virtually nothing, since it represents a 50 gallon cistern that's still half full.

You could start with 25 gallons and monitor the level in the cistern while someone else is showering, then add a tandem 25 gallons cistern if the first isn't enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back