16A Mitre Saw with 14A Transformer???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, sorry if I'm not in the right place with this post but I could do with some help. I have an 110v dewalt mitre saw and today I decided to buy my own site transformer to go with it, so I can give back the one I’ve been borrowing off my mate for the past year. Anyway I spotted one on eBay, a 3KVA one which is what I was told to get and the guy lived just up the road, so I bought it. Anyway it wasn't till I got it home that I realised that the 2 socket outlets are 14A but my saw is rated 16A. So the question is , is it safe to use it with my saw, I'm guessing that the saw never pulls 16A under normal operation, also is it possible to have the plugs changed on the transformer for 16A ones. I apologize for my utter ignorance in these matters and hope that someone will take pity on me.

Cheers

Rich

Sponsored Links
14A outlets? Are you sure? Can we see a picture?

More likely is that they are 16A sockets but the transformer only had a rated output of 14A.

If your saw really takes a full 16A then it must be a pretty serious piece of kit, as that's nearly 2kW. Are you simply assuming that because it has a 16A plug fitted that it consumes 16A?

Either way, you should get away with running it off a slightly underrated transformer in short bursts.

Well I thought it was rather odd too, I couldn't find a transformer on sale anywhere with 14A sockets nor could I find 14A industrial socket, so i assume they don't exisit, so I've just peeled the label off that says 14amps on it and underneath it says it's a 16A doh. Why would anyone do that ??? Thanks for the reply.

Rich

Sponsored Links
someone did ther maths wrong probably..

they thought 3Kva = 3Kw.. = 28A ( roughly ) at 110v..
that's 14A per socket..

but 3Kva = 2.5Kw ( power factor assumed at 0.85 ) so it's about 23A..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back