16mm T&E for external building

Sponsored Links
You could start an argument in a monastery, b-a-s :rolleyes:
An interesting observation.

Did you try the blindingly obvious and only logical course of simply reading the question which I wrote before you made it?

Sponsored Links
Where did you see it for £2.90?
http://www.csecables.com/acatalog/SWA_.html

I've been looking at 3-core though as i assumed it would need an earth.
It will.

What do you think the armour does?

Difference £27.50
Trivial.

Less than the price of a takeaway curry for two.

If £27.50 is so significant that you would avoid using the right cable to save it then you should not be doing this project at all.

Yes, that maybe true, but if i have that attitude with the 1000 other things i need to buy to make it up to decent spec it does add up. I've just had a similar conversation over buying 800 bricks. Haggling them down from 55p a brick to 35p doesnt seem like much but over 800 bricks it really helps. Anyway i digress! I guess my point is, if i need it i'll pay the extra. If i don't then i don't want to waste money.

Excuse my ignorance, but if you use the armour as the earth (if i'm reading your comment correctly), what is the third core for on 3-core SWA?
I figured the armour was just armour and you won't want potential current running through it in case the casing split.

Excuse my ignorance, but if you use the armour as the earth (if i'm reading your comment correctly), what is the third core for on 3-core SWA? I figured the armour was just armour and you won't want potential current running through it in case the casing split.
You can use just the armour of SWA as the earth/CPC, in which case you only need 2-core, or you can use a third core of 3-core SWA (usually together with the armour). Opinions about this vary. Some say that to pay for a third core is unnecessary; others say, similar to you, that they are unhappy with relying only on the armour because, if the outer sheathing splits, it theoretically can corrode. I think it's fair to say that both approaches are widely used. As far as I am aware, the only downside of using 3-core is a small increase in cost. The great majority of 3-core SWA has brown/black/grey cores (rather than brown, blue and G/Y), suggesting that the manufacturers believe it is to be used for 3-phase (without neutral), rather than as "L, N & E".

Kind Regards, John

Influx:

You have stated that the water pipe is not an extraneous-c-p; have you answered whether there are any other e-c-ps - metal parts emerging from the ground?

This thread seems to be going on a tour of all the options and purpose of various parts rather than determining what the OP may actually require.

This thread seems to be going on a tour of all the options and purpose of various parts rather than determining what the OP may actually require.
What the OP requires is an electrician to do the things which he'll be expecting him to certify that he did, such as design.

Influx:

You have stated that the water pipe is not an extraneous-c-p; have you answered whether there are any other e-c-ps - metal parts emerging from the ground?

Hi,

no, nothing metal coming up at all. The only thing close is the old metal drain pipe, but it doesnt touch and will be connected via plastic to the building.

thanks for all your help. seems that i'm going to require SWA.
My only other question would be. There is a 3m gap between the wall its clipped to and the house. Am i best to bury the swa or run it high?
If bury does it have to be very deep?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back