Identifying 10mm\16mm T &E

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I realise this question has been asked before, and looking at these posts I am beginning to realise that what I thought was 10mm, might actually be 16mm T &E. Is there any way to be definite ?

We're basically putting in a new kitchen, however the existing cooker cable (on a 45A fuse) is very chunky - I think it is was put in in the 70's and is the old colours. The total width of the cable is about 20mm x 10mm and according to the TLC site that is the size of their 16mm.

The existing T &E cable I have has got 7 strands in each wire, each at least well over 1.5mm in diameter(probably 1.7) - and if I add up the cross sectional area of each x 7 I do get 16mm2...... Is this a bit of a no-brainer - can I take this to be 16mm ? Is there anything else I should consider ?

Thanks
Steve

Sponsored Links
Take a snippet of your cable to B&Q or wholesaler & compare with their 10/ 16mm².

Take a snippet of your cable to B&Q or wholesaler & compare with their 10/ 16mm².

Yes, that's the obvious thing to do, but I forgot to mention my nearest B &Q is 100 miles away...... I live in the HIghlands - we do have a local Jewson's, but they are pretty hopeless for that sort of stuff.

THanks

another easy method is to get hold of some cable clips. They are a close, snap-fit round the cable they are made for. It is quite handy to keep a few in your pocket to check cables that you do not handle often enough to recognise by eye (I find 4mm T&E difficult). Take the fixing pins out before you put them in your pocket or they will make holes in your leg.

If there is any kind of electrical store near you they will probably sell you a small packet. You might even have to buy a box of 100 :( A friendly electrician might give you some.

Lots of trainers and merchants keep a demonstration board with short lengths of cable clipped to it, so you can get familiar with their appearance.

Sponsored Links
another easy method is to get hold of some cable clips. They are a close, snap-fit round the cable they are made for. It is quite handy to keep a few in your pocket to check cables that you do not handle often enough to recognise by eye (I find 4mm T&E difficult). Take the fixing pins out before you put them in your pocket or they will make holes in your leg.

If there is any kind of electrical store near you they will probably sell you a small packet. You might even have to buy a box of 100 :( A friendly electrician might give you some.

Lots of trainers and merchants keep a demonstration board with short lengths of cable clipped to it, so you can get familiar with their appearance.

Except falt clips come in set sizes:

One for 4mm and 6mm, and another for 10mm and 16mm :rolleyes:

I assume you are measuring the diameter of the strands using a set of calipers? rather than trying to do it with a ruler?

Whats the overall diamter of the conductor, including red/ black insulation?

I assume you are measuring the diameter of the strands using a set of calipers? rather than trying to do it with a ruler?

Whats the overall diamter of the conductor, including red/ black insulation?

Unfortunately I don't have any calipers, but each strand is definately well over the 1.5mm.

The total width of each conductor is approx 7mm. Th einsulation is about 1mm

Your best bet is to use crimps as your gauge.

A 10mm crimp wont go over a 16mm² conductor....

Also, its often easier to identify the cpc. In 16mm² T&E (generally) it is 6mm² and in 10mm² its 4mm²

edit: also, have a careful look at the cable sheath. Many cables have their size stamped every foot or so.

And going by the age of the installation it could well be imperial anyway.

Ths sheath on T&E used to be thicker back in t'day

Do you own a digital camera?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back