17TH ED RCD PROTECTION

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all im new to the forum but have 20 yrs electrical installation experience.

Here is the scenario:

A friend of mine recently had a refurb of a bungalow that has had a Full rewire, by an alarm engineer. i know the fella who did the

rewire and advised him to get the consumer unit installed bfore 17th came in effect and provide porotection using a split load CU.

He didnt take my advice although building control oversaw building works they kept away from the elec install.
now i have been asked to check the installation and have been given half completed detailks of the installation, also bathroom lights are

the only circuit protected by rcd?

So ive advised that all socket outlets due to being a bungalow ground floor be protected by an rcd or rccbo's.

Building control state that rcds are not required can i have advice pls as a porper job is in order and its contradicting.

regards dal.

Sponsored Links
You should probably decide which regs you're working under. Theoretically if the job was designed and notified before July you could still finish the job as 16th. I am in that situation, but have opted to go for 17th anyway to reduce upgrade problems in the future.

Under the 16th a socket had to be rcd protected if there was a likelyhood that it could be used to power outdoor equipment. The electricians clubs then decided that that meant all ground floor sockets. You could argue either way and get away with it.

Under the 17th all sockets have to be rcd protected anyway. In fact most, if not all circuits in any practical situation need to be under the 17th.

THANKS FOR SUCH A QUICK RESPONSE. I CAN NOW SHOW MY FREIND AS HE THINKS IM JUST BEING PICKY , JUST LIKE TO DO THINGS CORRECTLY OR NOT AT ALL.
REGARDS ALL

Sponsored Links
Why ? its only advice and Inspection to make sure its completed correctly.

You say he thinks you are being picky and has already ignored your advice.
If you are trying to use the 16th not just the CU had to be installed before July 1st 2008 - the whole installation would have to have been designed before this date to comply with the 16th.
I take it he is wanting you to carry out inspection, testing and certification of the installation?

Yes. Trying to help him out of a situation, not really his fault, the installer ignored my advice. explained about the need for building control to oversee it if he wasnt part p but obviously didnt approach them while on site (checking structual works only).

The install is sleeved up bonded 3 plated correct cable sizes and wired correctly just the obvious basics not adhered to.

im not part p either but i do not undertake the works . Im a maintenance spark for a large firm who has the ness paperworks etc but i cant use it for my own purposes just advising my freind, wot would u suggest is the best route

The only thing you can do legally is notify the LABC of the work and it is up to them to oversee compliance with the building regs.
As for paperwork - as you are not the designer nor installer then you may opt to use a 3 part EIC where everyone signs for their own parts.

cheers for the advice m8 its shed a lot more light on things
regards dal

yeah i did state this as well, but as i said , thought i was being a picky jobs worth, never had a call back on my work. if done correctly 1st time then no need really . too much probs with this one widsh i never opened my mouth now .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back