Do the 17th Ed regs apply in this scenario?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to modify the hallway and landing lights in my home. The downstairs hallway has a 2 gang switch and the landing has a 1 gang switch. It hasn't been wired very well as if you switch the landing light on upstairs you can't switch it off downstairs.

I am thinking of rewiring it to two 2 way 2 gang switches, so that both lights can be controlled from both switches. I am not sure if the new 17th regs apply, as the cable will not be 50mm deep in the walls or be mechanically protected, will the lighting circuit (currently 6amp MCB) have to be RCD/RCBO protected? Or do the regs not apply in this instance as it is a modification to an existing circuit?

Sponsored Links
the problem with the switching may not be that difficult to solve
it sounds like the 2 way strappers have been connected incorrectly
if you can identify them and correct them it should save you
redesigning the lighting

The 17th apply to all electrical work now being undertaken.
The rcd/rcbo thing, well if you are not extending the circuit in any way but are replacing like for like accessories then no rcd/rcbo is required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back