17th edition Certs Compilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please tell me what the tick box ("For one item of current using equipment" under the heading of "Electrical Separation" on the SCHEDULE OF ITEMS INSPECTED on the new 17th ed DEI Certificate) means? or where I could find out without having to buy a book!

Sponsored Links
It means has it been provided for one item of current using equipment or not :LOL:
i.e. an electric razor socket is for one piece of current using equipment.
My generator can power more than one piece of current using equipment - if it was hard wired that way of course!

A similar topic was posted on 'the other' forum and it was of the idea that an electric shaver socket wouldn't fall under that category:

Quote from IET, poster rocknroll........

"The circuit is not fed from an isolating transformer, neither is the accessory rated at separated voltage, if you open the accessory, voilà' you have 230V to earth, so the only things that would be separated are the appliances, shaver, hair-dryer, toothbrush, a faulty accessory could give you a fault to earth, also these pluggable items are covered by another 'order' not BS7671."

Makes perfect sense to me.

Sponsored Links
Am confused by this....i always understood that as the shaver supply from a socket with an isolating transformer had no earth it was impossible to get a shock........a demostration of this was gleefully exhibited by our college lecturer. He proved that 230v was present........and he proved that as there was no path to earth on the supply side(to shaver) you could not get a shock.........surely a good example of electrical separation?

Yes for the appliances connected to the outlet, BS7671:2008 is only concerned with the circuit supplying an accessory.

It's just after reading the thread on the other forum a couple of days ago a little doubt crept in my mind. As he says, the circuit isn't separated there's a potential of 230v to earth when you undo the fixing screws due to the incoming cpc.

FWIW, I also placed a tick in the electrical separation box when I came across a shaver socket with transformer.

Yeah, I see your point that the wiring up to the isolation transformer is part of the ADS (or olde EEBADS). What is plugged in isn't concerned with BS7671:2008. Maybe that was a bad example!

What about say an adequately labelled single socket fed from an isolation transformer provided in a test bay for a TV repair engineer?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back