17th edition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i was told that the 17th brings us in line with europe and once we have it we could go work in places in europe and not have to take a test. is this true?

Sponsored Links
If the introduction of the 17th edition brings us in line with Europe, does that meant we are finally going to get rid of all the cowboys? I have heard rumours that you can only buy essential stuff if you can show your trade card. Why are we paying lots of money for training, registration, certification, insurance and what have you when there is so much dodgy trading going on?

Where did you hear these rumours? I have not heard anything of the sort. BS7671:2008 is going to be a British Standard.

Sponsored Links
I have heard rumours that you can only buy essential stuff if you can show your trade card.

That's utter tosh. (Unfortunately)

If you think about it, the gas regulations have been in place for years and much better recognised than electrical regs (incl Part P) yet I can go into my local B&Q and buy a gas boiler, no questions asked about being CORGI :rolleyes:

IIRC in germany you can't buy electrical kit unless you are an electrician but there are no measures to stop you from buying it in holland and bringing it back with you.

I dread the kind of bodges that will be made if diyers can't buy the proper parts. Do you really want to see exention leads wired directly into the ring or people doing electrical installations with materials recovered from skips? (granted it happens already but lets not encourage it).

The 17th does take us closer to europe in certain ways such as RCDs rather than supp bonding and sockets in bathrooms but the really big things that make british wiring different such as rings, T&E cable and BS1363 sockets are all staying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back