18 or 22mm chipboard in place of 19?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A soft spot has developed in a 19mm t&g chipboard floor, probably because of heating pipes underneath. I've placed a 3.6mm piece of plywood I happened to have on top temporarily until I get hold of replacement t&g. It seems that nobody does 19mm anymore, I can get either 18 or 22 mm, which will obviously leave a hole or a lump. It's a small section that I need, any advice on which variant you would use?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
pull up all the chipboard and replace with 18mm ply.

chipboard develops soft spots from being walked on. then it cracks. then it breaks. then you fall through.

It's an awful material.

I'm sure that's not what the Op wants to hear. Use 18mm with packers underneath

Thanks, at 30 quid for a small section I don't think I will be ripping it all out for ply, I do have a piece ready now though. What material would you advise as a packer? I was going to live with 1mm difference but obviously would prefer it to be level

Sponsored Links
You can get 1mm yellow plastic (polyethylene) packers from any builders merchants (generally in mixed bags of different thicknesses with brands such as Broadfix). Even B&Q, Screwfix and Toolstation sell 'em. Tradefix do 1mm only ones in the (trade standard) colour oif yellow. Get the horseshoe ones rather than flat glazing packers which are made from harder plastic and are more liable to break if you screw through them

Yeah, I was shocked, only 607x1220, it is exterior grade though, unfortunately it's all the small b&q had and opportunities to get to another are few and far between! Thanks all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back