18mm ply tack in van.. Pretty up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have quick an intricate racking system in my lwb hi top transit, that i made with 18mm ply (not WBP). Its built purposely on an angle to strap glass to, and the opposite side also holds tools.

Obviously there is condensation forming on the roof and this has started to form mould on parts of the racking and i was wondering whats the best way to get around this as its starting to niggle at me?

I attempted to sand (with dust mask) but to no avail, and am bothered that if its painted with something cheap - that it will peel with tools being slid in and out.

Removing and replacing the rack is not an option - hoping there is another way *fingers crossed*

Was considering painting with something stubborn like floor paint?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
try spraying it with wood worm fluid.
i recently built a rather large storage shed/store ok i used wpb but after a few weeks started getting the same as you.
sprayed it and it stopped and didnt get any worse.

Wash it with bleach to kill the mould and if your not bothered about colour the use a garden wood treatment, sand the shiny side of the ply a little so it can absorb it.

Thanks for the replies guys.

If i wash it with either products suggested, would it wipe it from the ply or just kill it and stop it mutiplying?

I have a dewalt chop saw and table saw, both metal, and bothered that it would look naff if i paint it with something that would eventually scratch off. Appreciate that im probably being picky - but i want to do it and it be right!

Ta again guys.

Sponsored Links
combination of both really,
wash it with bleach,let it dry then spray with fluid.

You could just paint zinser BIN straight over the top of the mold of you want. It is pretty durable stuff nut will scuff in time

I don't understand why you are 'obviously getting condensation' ?

I had a problem a while ago in my transit, water on the inside of the roof, mould on the ply.

Turns out someone had put a soaking wet dust sheet inside, once I found it and removed it, problem has gone away.

Thought of pva?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back