Trailer - Tool Racks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have a 3.5m Ifor Williams box trailer that i use to "Drag" Windows around! Its the standard one with the tapered front with door, drop down back etc etc.

At the moment i cut the tapered front off at a right angle and built 3 shelves which are only accesable from the front door, Superb (At the time, for storing all my tools)!

I put no lid on these shelves and now with all the bad wether, im getting ALOT of condensation, and everything on the top shelf has rusted over - BIG TIME.

What my plan is to rip the box out and put the rack right down one side, which i can store all the tools, silicons, screws etc, in segregated sections.

I know what and how to do it, the issue is how to stop this Condensation happening again!

I was initially thinking of 18mm WBP ply for the boxing in and forming a lid on the top that overhangs say 300mm from the front line of the shelves. stopping any droplets?

Not sure what to do guys please help!?

Will put some pics up after ive done it!

Sponsored Links
Did your trailer have trickle vents fitted before, did you get a certificate when you cut the tapered front off :?:

Put a few tilt and turns in the back with 8000sq.mm tickle vents in, Tried to registered it with fensa, but they said they couldnt so went to local bc! Going to have to start using Certass lol

Lol, Thought you were going to have a SUPER DOOPER post as usual ;)

Got an awing btw, sent it off to be embroidred!

Someone complimenting my posts, im flattered :D

Would the condensation be caused by the difference in surface temps, cold air against uninsulated thin walls while driving and warmish air inside :?:

Sponsored Links
Someone complimenting my posts, im flattered :D

Would the condensation be caused by the difference in surface temps, cold air against uninsulated thin walls while driving and warmish air inside :?:

Anytime for you kind sir :D!

Not sure, one day ( Fair enough it was during the bad snow! ) i opened it up to get at an impact driver, and there was just soo much water stuck to the roof must have literally been buckets full!

I know this is a one off, but i cant risk this keep happening - At the moment i take them out after every job just to avoid it!

Must have 3k worth of power tools, plus 2 full sets of easi-dec.

There must be a solution, wasnt sure if the overhanging lid would eliviate it! or a gutter and downspout system if neccesary :evil:

Yeah, sorted the awning havent used it officially but will be doing as soon as the sides come back from the embroiders! :cool:

Any help sir?

Mmm thought that but was unsure of how feesable it would be! Have hardly anything to help support it. other than the shelf / racks im building. Unless i just place it tighly over the lid of the box, and hope it doesnt move when i whack a bump!?

Not too bothered about the rest of the trailer, its just the section where my kit will be and that should only be 3m long by 0.5m wide.

As said the main "plan" is to protect that section by whatever is neccesary.

My Rehau VS's can stand the water :LOL:

can you not ply line it with 6mm ply all over. i had a nissan primastar that was lined on teh sides, but had problems with condensation on teh roof. Lined that as well and no problem

Sides have got naff all to screw into! But they dont need it anyway!

Roof, has just got some what seems to be 20mm x 20mm box section steel i suppose i could nab a few self tappers into that?

Surely that wont eliviate the condensation problem though? and it will find another way out, just dont want it to make things worse!

It seems only to be like 3mm thick acrylic or similar on the roof, and the condensation is terrible, i opened my bag one day and it had pints of water in it. Must be buckets and buckets full altogether.

Not too bothered about most of the area, its just the section where the tools are going to be!

Cheers for the reply!

Surely that wont eliviate the condensation problem though? and it will find another way out, just dont want it to make things worse!

It seems only to be like 3mm thick acrylic or similar on the roof, and the condensation is terrible, i opened my bag one day and it had pints of water in it. Must be buckets and buckets full altogether.

Not too bothered about most of the area, its just the section where the tools are going to be!

Cheers for the reply!

worked in my van. We were always putting wet stuff in there from working outside and the condensation was terrible. After that it stopped.

Cheers for the reply!

worked in my van. We were always putting wet stuff in there from working outside and the condensation was terrible. After that it stopped.

Sounds like a plan! Ill give it a go, should i ply the lot? or just that area?

mine was lined all over. Although it was only 6 mm it was ideal for screwing hooks etc into and making up racking from 4 x 2 etc, with a little help from mr gripfill as well!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back