18mm x 120mm oak floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a lounge/diner to lay the above flooring in, its 9.50 x 3.70m - arch 5.00m from one end. Existing floor is 15 years old and has marley tiles on (no damp reading on protimeter). What do you think - too big to float, use elastilon or rip up existing, screed, dpm, prime, screed and bond.

Sponsored Links
'Narrow' enough to install floating. It get's tricky when the room is wider than 5 - 6 meters (when installing solid floors, Wood-Engineered can 'tackle' up to 11 meters wide).

When installing floating, select a combi-underlayment - includes DPM that will prevent any 'sweating' from the tiles getting into the wood.

Laid the lounge / diner today. A real pain in the butt, the widths varied by 3mm (118.5 min to 121.5 max). I wish i hadn't sold my pergo straps 6 mths ago. Back to fit skirtings 2moro

Sponsored Links
Did you buy a new product or reclaimed boards?
If new, was the brand 'Master's choice' by any chance? Rubbish! Many short lengths and width differences.
Also known as "cheap and awful".

Customer supplied the flooring from Howdens. Well packaged in sealed boxes and on first glance looked good. Wasn't till I started laying that I noticed the descrepencies. Called customer, he said just do your best (would have prefered it if he sent it back).

Brand on boxes was "Timberjack"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back