18th Edition any time soon?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm just in the last year of my 2330 and I'm booked into a course to do the 17th Edition in March.
We were doing some work that required a table from GN3.
I'm quite happy to spend money on books that will support me so thought I'd look into buying it, but its £20.
I plan on doing my test and inspect in the later part of this year so thought it would be handy anyway.

I googled 18th edition and read on other forums conflicting information about 18th edition.
Is there any solid news on 18th Edition yet? I don't want to go buying books that with become redundant before I have any reason to look at it.

Thanks for your help.
Chris.

Sponsored Links
There will probably be a 17th edition update (green book?) published before the 18th edition comes out.

Excuse my naivety but if that's the case then would the only book to be amended be the regs book?

Thanks.

I don't remember where i heard it, but i have a suspicion that there is to be an amendment to the 17th, possibly towards the end of this year.

IIRC, there may be a bit of a reversal on the 'fit rcds to everything' and may place the requirement for them on the opinion of the designer.

How that will affect GN3, i don't know, but if it is only £20 then it will be still worth reading now. I don't see the principle of how to test changing very much

Sponsored Links
The 18th edition is years away.

Amendments to the 17th edition are not, however the changes are not likely to affect testing, since even the changes for testing between 16th/17th are minimal.

The 18th edition is years away.

Amendments to the 17th edition are not, however the changes are not likely to affect testing, since even the changes for testing between 16th/17th are minimal.

Looks like its going to be out next month :eek:

I don't remember where i heard it, but i have a suspicion that there is to be an amendment to the 17th, possibly towards the end of this year.
It's been common knowledge for many months. The draft for public comment was issued in June last year.

IIRC, there may be a bit of a reversal on the 'fit rcds to everything' and may place the requirement for them on the opinion of the designer.
You may be disappointed then. Those small proposed changes probably won't be included in Amendment 1, which will be issued for 1st July 2011 and come into full force on 1st January 2012

How that will affect GN3, i don't know, but if it is only £20 then it will be still worth reading now. I don't see the principle of how to test changing very much
The major changes to GN3 will be to the model forms for certification and reporting and that amendment will be due soon.

As far as inspecting and testing goes, however, the OP could pick up a current edition cheaply and then check out the new forms in BS 7671, Amendment 1. (And you'll almost certainly be able to download the model forms from the IET website f.o.c. eventually.)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/guidance-note...ultDomain_3&hash=item4aab23d20f#ht_500wt_1156

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
It's been common knowledge for many months. The draft for public comment was issued in June last year.

You may be disappointed then. Those small proposed changes probably won't be included in Amendment 1, which will be issued for 1st July 2011 and come into full force on 1st January 2012

The major changes to GN3 will be to the model forms for certification and reporting and that amendment will be due soon.

As far as inspecting and testing goes, however, the OP could pick up a current edition cheaply and then check out the new forms in BS 7671, Amendment 1. (And you'll almost certainly be able to download the model forms from the IET website f.o.c. eventually.)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/guidance-note...n_3&hash=item4aab23d20f#ht_500wt_1156[/QUOTE]

Dingbat, Dude, check the dates of the posts!!

If you had made this post, er, lets say 3 months ago, it would have been a bit better.

FWIW, i'm not disappointed either way with respect to fitting RCDs. I do recall (or 'did', sometime back in January) some discussion of making the application of RCDs for minor jobs the responsibility of the designer on assessment of whether he/she felt there would be any detriment to the overall level of safety of the installation, or something along those lines.

Has that idea been dropped?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Dingbat, Dude, check the dates of the posts!!
Ah. My bad...

I do recall (or 'did', sometime back in January) some discussion of making the application of RCDs for minor jobs the responsibility of the designer on assessment of whether he/she felt there would be any detriment to the overall level of safety of the installation, or something along those lines.

Has that idea been dropped?
According to Geoff Cronshaw, yes.

Speculation on the date the 18th edition might be introduced is in the same order as the Daily Mail's speculation on a house price fall. For years they predicted the bubble would burst. After many years it did! The Mail claimed to have been right all along.

I now predict there will be an 18th edition. When it's published I shall claim that I foretold it years ago. :LOL:

Speculation on the date the 18th edition might be introduced is in the same order as the Daily Mail's speculation on a house price fall. For years they predicted the bubble would burst. After many years it did! The Mail claimed to have been right all along.
There have only been three editions of the regs issued during the past 50 years, with an average interval of about 14 years between them. If that pattern continues, you and the Daily Mail could be waiting until around 2022 for the 18th, with all sorts of colours of Amendements to the 17th in the meantime!

Kind Regards, John

Hey - for years many of us worked to the 14th (or claimed to) :D

In fact both the 14th & the 16th Editions coincided with England winning at World cup football too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back