1920s terraced

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We've got a damp problem in the house we're looking to purchase - ground floor above skirting board, and we've had an independent damp survey carried out. Causes seem to be salt contaminated plaster, lack of sub-floor ventilation, air bricks are covered up, and gutters without stop end so water going towards property. Works recommended are to strip that affected plaster back to the brick and replaster in recommended salt-retarting plaster.

So there's some building and plastering to be carried out. With the plaster however, bearing in mind the age of the property, is there likely to be any asbestos in the property? Would an asbestos report be needed?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
air bricks are covered up, and gutters without stop end so water going towards property.
how have the air bricks been covered up
you may have rot in the timbers under the floor
also gutters - any cracks in the wall, water pouring out of gutters onto walls and then soaking the brick, if then freezing can calls issues. Also around the bottom of walls , foundations with continuous water floor when raining,
NOTE not trade just a DIYer , but those would be the things i would be looking for based on previous experience looking at older houses 1904 was my oldest purchase

how have the air bricks been covered up
you may have rot in the timbers under the floor
also gutters - any cracks in the wall, water pouring out of gutters onto walls and then soaking the brick, if then freezing can calls issues. Also around the bottom of walls , foundations with continuous water floor when raining,
NOTE not trade just a DIYer , but those would be the things i would be looking for based on previous experience looking at older houses 1904 was my oldest purchase

Ground level is higher than the air bricks so we've been advised to have the ground level in the front reduced to expose these and additional air bricks added to increase sub-floor ventilation.

Yes, in a couple of places of the guttering there is no stop end so those will have to be replaced.

Sponsored Links
Ground level is higher than the air bricks so we've been advised to have the ground level in the front reduced to expose these and additional air bricks added to increase sub-floor ventilation.

Yes, in a couple of places of the guttering there is no stop end so those will have to be replaced.
It was more about the damage that may have been caused because of those issues, rather than how to fix them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back