Salt retardant backing if dry lining?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi sorry to jump straight into a question post and being new to the forum. I am usually able to sort sort DIY stuff my self so never needed to join a forum.

Our new property (1920 solid brick partial concrete and partially suspended wood floor) came with a damp survey and recommendations were a chemical dpc. Removal of plaster upto 1m and a salt retardant backing plaster added. Lower external ground level and 4 more air bricks.

My question is we were planning on dry lining(because the house is cold) possibly with kingspan insulation between steel studwork. Do you need to use a salt retardant backing over the exposed brick work upto the 1m previously removed? por would you just remove all the plaster back to the brick work to ceiling height and then stud, insulate and board then skim. Another thing do I need to add a vapour barrier?. I don't want to end up trapping moisture behind the stud wall.

I know ultimately that external insulation and rendering would be best but that works out quite expensive and I don't know how good I would be at rendering an external wall with how large a surface that would be having only plastered a handful of walls and ceilings.

Sponsored Links
Once you've done the DPC, you need to let the wall dry out. And you need to replaster with either a salt retardant plaster, or cement with a waterproofer in it, using washed sand thhat won't attract moisture from the air. Now the wall would normally take about 6 months to a year to dry out, but you want to put insulation on the inside, so the danger is that it would condense onto the back of the insulation.

I'd hack the plaster off, inject a silicone dpc, and then put a dehumidifier in the room to try and draw as much moisture out. And I don't think I'd do the insulation till I new the damp had been completely cured, otherwise you're storing up problems for yourself. You could paint the wall with Safeguard Drybase after the plaster has been removed, and then install the insulation, and use stainless steel screws to fix the bars on, but you stil wouldn't know if the jobs been done properly.

The EWI would have similar issues, and would cost more, but would be a much better job. With internal insulation the outside of the house gets cold, and the inside gets smaller, and you have to have the heating on all day. With external insulation, the house stays warmer all day, and requires less heating to keep it warm.

It's fairly straightforward to put up the Insulation externally, but needs a bit more practice to do the base layer, but the final coats easy.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies. I like the sound of both. Crack on with making it dry first then. It was recommended to leave it upto 9 months for drying out from the damp survey. Will need to invest in a decent dehumidifier too. Cheers guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back