1925 House - what kind of plasterboard is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've just bought a 1925 house and the walls in the hallway seem to be covered by wallpaper. Underneath, it looks like the plasterboard is green (see picture). Does anyone know what kind this is? Can I remove the wallpaper and paint directly on the plasterboard?

Any advice welcome!

Thank you!
1000027326.jpg

Sponsored Links
1930's will be lath and plaster - Timber studs, with thin laths nailed to them, with gaps then plastered, with likely horsehair reinforced plaster.

Unless of course it has been redone in the intervening hundred years. Lime plaster is usually off-white and very thick. Laths were used for ceilings and partition walls of studwork. Frequently cracked and loose. Lime plaster was also used direct on brick walls, where it is likely to be in better condition as it does not rely on wood that may have rotted or shrunk, nails that may have rusted away, and nibs that will have broken off due to wartime bombing shaking and movement (the reason why L&P ceilings are liable to fall down at the slightest provocation). If you have a teenage daughter she might bring them down by slamming doors.

I can't see your green but it is quite likely distemper. A durable "paint' made of glue, ground chalk and pigment. Usually in pale pastel colours due to the high content of chalk. Very difficult to decorate over. Recognition is that will not wash off in cold water, but can be washed off with kettle-hot water, whereupon it has a distinctive unpleasant smell, due to being made with the boiled-up hooves of dead horses.

P.s.
No, you can't paint it. The paint will fall off. This is characteristic of distemper, not the plaster itself. You can scrub it off with boiling water. Or use lining paper, which is easier.

Sponsored Links
I agree with JohnD. It’s distemper on old plaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back