1930s Cracked Wall, should I be concerned

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, this is my first time posting. So thanks in advance for any help! I am renovating my 1930s semi.

The spare room above the porch has cracks by the window to the floor. I assume that this is due to a double glazed window being put in in the 90s.
The window looks to be of a wood frame with a single skin brick.

These crack have a small amount of air coming through them. I have removed the wall paper and loose plaster as the plaster is blown on the sides.

I recently had the house rendered and the renderer advise that the pebble dash was not blown and to just use Sandtex microseal paint to fill the cracks

What are my options, do I put in a metal bar for support, ignore it and go back to brick and plaster or something more serious?

Thanks again
IMG_5164.jpg
IMG_5163.jpg
IMG_5162.jpg
IMG_5165.jpg

Sponsored Links
There may be some movement of the support within the porch roof.

Firstly, the roof should be checked for any water penetration, which will have affected the bay supporting timber.
But the only way to know for sure would be to open up the roof to check the supporting timberwork.

Randomly strapping the wall without identifying the cause risks it being a waste of time if the bay is still moving.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back