1930s door - stripped, but one panel cracked/bulging...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey there,

New to the forum but after some advice I can't find elsewhere...

We've just bought a 1930's house and are in the midst of renovating / redecorating throughout.

We've removed all the doors and had them stripped by a local salvage yard to remove years of gloss paint - all of them have come out really well except for one where the ply on one panel has split and bulged out.

The lady at the salvage yard suggested waiting a few more days for it to dry, then slicing it with a stanley knife and filling with glue in the hope to get it back to a stage that can be sanded.
Does this advice sound sensible / likely to anyone with more DIY sense than me?

Can anyone suggest a better approach.

Keen to salvage the door if at all possible.

Thanks
Steve

Sponsored Links
where the wet dipped[for days]
or dry dipped[short time]

if wet dipped they should not be touched for around 5 weeks untill dry

I believe they were dry dipped as as I got them back within 48 hours...

where the wet dipped[for days]
or dry dipped[short time]

if wet dipped they should not be touched for around 5 weeks untill dry

also depend on how they where treated if they where stored in the rain before and after could delay but giving 2 or 3 weeks to dry wont hurt

Sponsored Links
I bet a good carpenter could disassemble the door and rebuild it with a new panel or cut two very thin new panels accurately and glue them in, which would be easy if you cut out the old panel and left a narrow border around.

I would have a go at this, what have you got to lose?

I bet a good carpenter could disassemble the door and rebuild it with a new panel or cut two very thin new panels accurately and glue them in, which would be easy if you cut out the old panel and left a narrow border around.

I would have a go at this, what have you got to lose?
Money ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back