1950s Property Help!

thc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I am in the process of purchasing a 1950s 4 bed mid terraced property I have a few questions i need help with:

Surveyors comments on floors:

"The ground floors are of solid concrete construction. There is evidence of slight settlement of the solid floor slab in some area, for example in th lounge and kitchen. This is often found in properties of this age, and is generally due to insufficient consolidation of the fill material beneath the concrete slab. The settlement generally stabilies shortly after construction. However it should be appreciated that from a single visal inspection this cannot be fully established.

The ground floors are unlikey to incorporate a conventional damp-proof membrane. High moisture readings were recorded in the kitchen floor. Consquenctly, penetrating dampness may occur, particulaty at joints. The most suitable long term option would be to re-lay the floors and include a damp proof membrane"

My questions are, is he just covering his back due to the age of property and placing a layer of membrane etc. ontop of concrete will do for a fix? or will i need to re-lay the floors idealy before kitchen etc. goes in property?

There is to note, that only kitchen floor and top of chimney (needs flashing and pointing doing) are giving the surveyor any damp readings, walls are fine.

Any help and advice even cost suggestions, much appreciated, thank you!

Sponsored Links
Surveyors comments on floors:

"The ground floors are of solid concrete construction. There is evidence of slight settlement of the solid floor slab in some area, for example in th lounge and kitchen. This is often found in properties of this age, and is generally due to insufficient consolidation of the fill material beneath the concrete slab. The settlement generally stabilies shortly after construction. However it should be appreciated that from a single visal inspection this cannot be fully established.

I have a 1950s bungalow and my survey said that too (almost word for word). I took it at face value, and as it was only in one room where the fill was deepest, I went ahead and bought the place.
The floors have now dropped another inch and a half in the middle all over the house and all the internal walls are cracked and crumbling as a result. Subsidence of the floor slab when the walls are unaffected (mine were underpinned many years ago and holding up OK for now) is specifically excluded from the house insurance so I'm on my own with it.

I believe my problem is exacerbated by being on a steep slope with deep fill under the floors, the large tree in the front garden, and myself and my neighbours all having re-located the totally inadequate soakaways further from the houses. I suspect it could be the clay soil now drying out as a result of the changes. These may not be factors for you.

Don't want to scare you, it may be fine just like the surveyor intimates, but I would recommend asking some very searching questions.

If I were you I would start by asking the current owners how long it has been like that and if it is getting worse.

Mike.

Hello Mike,

Many thanks for you reply and advice,

This house is on flat land, no flooding risk and other houses same had limited problems in past.

Well i expected alot of problems but didn't think the floors would be part of it sent over the parts of interest of the report to the estate agent, and said i am prepared to proceed with sale providing 2k is returned in cash to my bank on sale of property, as this is a renovating project i did budget for everything apart from this so i would be prepared to go halfs with current owners to get the work done on floors.

I wish you luck as well mate what a nightmare it must of been for you, if you got the floors re-layed at start, would this of prevented these problems? or was it just bad luck?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back