1960s Drains - how best to add new connection?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking for some advice on how best to add a new connection to my existing 1960s drains - and where best to put the waste stack.

I've tried to draw the layout below.

Essentially, there is a manhole cover and inspection chamber about 1.5 metres from the house. This is currently fed by two pipes. The first, (Labeled "A") a curving pipe to the left, leads from an existing toilet which i will remove. The second (Labeled "B") passes straight into the inspection chamber from a gully for waste-water, which will also be disconnected.

I am thinking i should connect new plastic pipe to the lower part of pipe B - the straight connection - at 45 degrees. This should then pass through the wall, to a soil stack just the other side.

As far as i can tell, until i take more of the the floor up, i should be alright for clearances and gradients.

If so, is this the right plan? Or am i missing something?!

As ever, would be stuck without the advice of folks on here. Really appreciate it!

Crawf

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hmmm, not sure what happened there!

w88iaaka5

Hopefully this one works......

Sponsored Links
To explain a bit more, I am intending to remove the gully, and was thinking that i then could simply connect the remaining part of the straight connection ("A") to the stack. That is what the green pipe is meant to show.

To do this, if i point the rest-bend in the right direction, it seems to me that i could then use a single flexible adaptor (http://www.screwfix.com/p/flexible-adaptor/19914) and one of these flexible connections (http://www.screwfix.com/p/adjustable-bend-0-90/14451) to make the connection to the straight bit......

The only question then is whether i also need an access chamber between the rest-bend and the new connection.

If you site the bend immediately outside the chamber you may get away without needing a second chamber. You are aware you need a long radius bend at the foot of the stack? If pipe 'A' is to be redundant, I would block it off at the chamber with concrete, to prevent rats using it as a hotel, and looking to make themselves a new front door somewhere along the run....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back