1960s house rose to 4 spots help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, my wife has set me another stupid project of redoing the bathroom and one of the jobs is to change the lights so, a friend of mine supplies lights for a living and we have decided on 4* 240v gu10 5w led ip65 fittings, the lamps he has got me have their own connection block built into the back of them, my questions is do I just remove my existing light and fitting (I can access all the electrics from the loft) wire the existing wires into my first spot and then daisy chain on to the other 3 or do I wire the existing electrics into a junction box, and wire all 4 LEDs into the junction box.

Also I expect as soon as the bathroom is tiled and finished she will require an extra fan to be fitted, can somebody explain how this fits into the new light circuit mentioned above

Cheers all

Just to note the bathroom currently has one light in in and one switch

Sponsored Links
I assume you talking about downlights, the type that are cut/recessed in to the ceiling?
There are a number of ways these can be connected, I prefer the daisy chain method but sometimes the terminal connection/enclosures offered by the fittings are quite awkward to get two sets of cables in and also keep the PVC sheathing within the enclosure. So another option would be to supply each via a junction connection. Note that the junction boxes should be easily accessible if not MF (maintenance free) types
If the fan has an overrun/timer on it you will need to connect a three core cable between light, isolator and fan.
Link from WIKI
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:fan
Please make yourself aware of the regulations and legal requirements regarding electrical installations and equipment within bathrooms.
Has this circuit got RCD protection on it?

Hi all, my wife has set me another stupid project of redoing the bathroom and one of the jobs is to change the lights so, a friend of mine supplies lights for a living and we have decided on 4* 240v gu10 5w led ip65 fittings
So you're going from 1 light to 4 lights.

Does that not tell you something about how bad the ones you have chosen are at doing the job you want them to do?

4 lights but only 20W total, doesn't sound too bad to me

Sponsored Links
Replace your rose with a junction box and run a feed out in 1.0mm2 (check your cpd device) and daisy chain to each light.

So you're going from 1 light to 4 lights.

Does that not tell you something about how bad the ones you have chosen are at doing the job you want them to do?

Downlights are installed for ascetic reasons as well, not just to make a room brighter. You obviously don't agree with that but many people do this on a daily basis and there's nothing at all wrong with that if that's what they want.
It's not like he's going to be fitting 50W halogen lamps as he's considered the energy impact so that's a plus.

People have opinions and it's not up to you to constantly tell them their opinion is wrong, based solely on your opinion!

My, friends job is to supply lighting for a living, I told him the room dimensions and that I wanted led,s in a downright, he sent me 5 pages of formulae that I do not understand to do with luminaries etc, I want downlights as a visual thing not just for the light they provide, I'm am more than happy with what he has chosen for me.people on here seem to have a real problem with downlights?

My, friends job is to supply lighting for a living, I told him the room dimensions and that I wanted led,s in a downright, he sent me 5 pages of formulae that I do not understand to do with luminaries etc, I want downlights as a visual thing not just for the light they provide, I'm am more than happy with what he has chosen for me.people on here seem to have a real problem with downlights?

It doesn't make a lot of sense to replace a total of 60w of lighting in one fitting, to 200w worth of lighting in 4 fittings for the same light.

No wonder this plants energy consumption keeps rising.

LEDs are different.

I was talking about standard 50w gu10s...which anyone could put back in over there lifetime.

LEDs are different.

I was talking about standard 50w gu10s...which anyone could put back in over there lifetime.

But as LED technology evolves and gets better, that gets less likely. Look how much they have improved in the last 5 years

LEDs are different.

But as LED technology evolves and gets better, that gets less likely. Look how much they have improved in the last 5 years

Yes but LEDs are more expensive and put out a different light, which alot of people don't like.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back