1960's house...

looks like the OP will end up taking exactly the terrible advice I suggested, until a time where it is practical to rewire and run CPC's. funny that.

Sponsored Links
It's not funny at all. Maybe if you hadn't posted dangerous advice the OP would have done things properly.

I hope you're really proud of your self.

It's not funny at all. Maybe if you hadn't posted dangerous advice the OP would have done things properly.

Haven't done anything yet :LOL:

**** it... gonna get the upstairs circuit done asap as that's where I'm working and in the process of boarding the loft. Then the downstairs will be done when we do the work in Aug/Sep.

Just checked the downstairs circuit and it too is not earthed (expected).

But the reason for this post is as part of checking I noticed, that where there is back to back light switches, they bought 2 cables down one side (in conduit), then drilled through the back box KO's to get to the other side.

Is that standard?

Sponsored Links
But the reason for this post is as part of checking I noticed, that where there is back to back light switches, they bought 2 cables down one side (in conduit), then drilled through the back box KO's to get to the other side.
Sounds very sensible to me.

Kind Regards, John

We used to do this a lot when I was house bashing. The favourite was a chase for the landing switch and then drill through for the two bedroom switches. It saved damage to the decorations for the home owner and saved time chasing and making good for us.

Sounds very sensible to me.

Kind Regards, John

Thinking about it, you're right. If they chased either side, you'd end up breaking the 1/3 depth limit for chases. Even if you offset them slightly.

2 way switching:

Hallway has 2 gang - hallway light and landing light
Landing has 1 gang - landing light

2 way cable runs from landing switch to 1 gang on hallway switch;

hallway switch: red goes into common, blue into 1 way, yellow into 2 way.
landing switch: red from landing light was twisted with yellow from 2 way cable - when I pulled the landing switch off the cable was either loose or came loose as part of me pulling it off. Not sure what way in the switch it went. Guessing 2 way.

I want to change both switches to 3 gangs;

Hallway: Front door light, hallway light, landing light
Landing: Loft light, hallway light, landing light

Guess I need to run another 2 way cable between the 2 switches.

Have tried the wiki, but couldn't find one matching my requirement. What I found was how it is at the moment.

Guess I need to run another 2 way cable between the 2 switches.
Yes - three core and earth.

Ignore the number of gangs and treat each circuit and its switch(es) as a separate unit.

Two-way circuits must have the same (colour) conductor in the two switch commons (apex of the triangle).

Draw the circuits and connect accordingly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back