1960's house...

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you really need to be thinking about getting your installation brought up to standards to ensure the safety of your family for years to come.

I agree, and I had already planned to do it before I even knew of the existing lighting circuit - just not right now.

But for now, although you say you mustn't do it, can I just use 1mm T+E (it's a 6a MCB) to see me through. I'll use connector blocks rather than snipping it off, and at least this run of the circuit won't need to be replaced.

I guess your concern is that somebody might think the circuit is earthed, when it isn't... I'll know it's not. Or is there a fundamental problem in connecting stranded 2 core to non-stranded T+E?

PS: Luckily I hate anything but white plastic switches and sockets anyway, so changing them to plastic is no design/style problem!

BAS, where do you get your signatures from? They're always brilliant...

Just thinking out loud here, the house was last bought in 2006 and rented out. Surely the owner/landlord needed to provide certificates as part of renting it out...

...there's no label anywhere near the CU stating that only Class II/non-metal fittings can be used on the lighting circuit, and I presume the owner/landlord had it in a 'finished' state (i.e. switches/sockets/light fittings etc.), rather than leaving the tenents to put their own stuff in.

Sponsored Links
If at all possible run a new cable back to the existing consumer unit so your addition is earthed.

When I say "see me through", I don't mean years; we're doing some major work over the next couple of months, so as I'm chasing out walls for my A/V system etc. I can slip a few extra chases where needed.

There's no viable route at the moment.

If at all possible run a new cable back to the existing consumer unit so your addition is earthed.

When I say "see me through", I don't mean years; we're doing some major work over the next couple of months, so as I'm chasing out walls for my A/V system etc. I can slip a few extra chases where needed.

There's no viable route at the moment.
Listen this is your house - in which case you can do what you want in it.

If you have a non earthed lighting circuit then there is nothing to stop you adding additional lighting and switches as long as they are class 2 fittings (plastic).
After all the original system has worked okay for many years so what is suddenly going to change.

You have been given the correct advice regarding getting a proper earth to all your lights - when you do it is up to you - we will not be living in your house.
If I were working on your house and your required additional lighting like you described then I would fit this at the Consumer Unit.

http://www.patlabelsonline.co.uk/el...8/warning-no-provision-for-earth-labels-p1140

Listen this is your house - in which case you can do what you want in it. ... If you have a non earthed lighting circuit then there is nothing to stop you adding additional lighting and switches as long as they are class 2 fittings (plastic).
True. My main concern is that if (as it presumably would) 'adding additional lighting and switches' involved new cable (presumably T+E), there would be an issue about the 'earth' (CPC) of the new cable. It really does need to be connected to the earthing system somehow (even if that involves some of the 4mm² cable that has already been discussed) - since otherwise there is a significant risk that, at some point in the future, someone will 'assume' (even though they shouldn't!) that a CPC which is present 'must be' connected to earth.

Kind Regards, John

since otherwise there is a significant risk that, at some point in the future, someone will 'assume' (even though they shouldn't!) that a CPC which is present 'must be' connected to earth.

That's my point though. By the time I come to sell* (> 5/6 years) it would have been rewired, certainly the lighting circuits, if not the sockets as well.

*By the end of the year in fact! I'm not planning on bodging it now and leaving it as is. Couldn't have that on my conscious.

Listen this is your house - in which case you can do what you want in it.

I want it done properly, and it will be done properly. Right now just isn't a good time.

If it was no earth on the socket circuits I'd evacuate now and get it done. I've been hit by live ligthing circuits enough times to know a bee sting is worse :LOL:

If you're getting the lighting rewired soon anyway, why not just wait until then, and run in the additional lights at the same time?

since otherwise there is a significant risk that, at some point in the future, someone will 'assume' (even though they shouldn't!) that a CPC which is present 'must be' connected to earth.
That's my point though. By the time I come to sell* (> 5/6 years) it would have been rewired, certainly the lighting circuits, if not the sockets as well. ... *By the end of the year in fact!
Fair enough - but if it were me, and if I were taking that approach, I think I would probably at least attach some warning notes near the end of each and every T+E cable whose CPC was not actually connected to earth, 'just in case'. You never know what might happen - someone may need to get an electrician in for some reason 'whilst you're away', or whatever. I would personally sleep better if I'd at least taken steps to 'warn' anyone who might get involved with the electrical installation, no matter how unlikely that was to happen.

Kind Regards, John

Fair enough - but if it were me, and if I were taking that approach, I think I would probably at least attach some warning notes near the end of each and every T+E cable whose CPC was not actually connected to earth, 'just in case'. You never know what might happen - someone may need to get an electrician in for some reason 'whilst you're away', or whatever. I would personally sleep better if I'd at least taken steps to 'warn' anyone who might get involved with the electrical installation, no matter how unlikely that was to happen.

Kind Regards, John

Good thinking Batman.

I'm going to check the downstairs lighting circuit to see if they have 'bodged' up by using metal fixings, or if this circuit has a CPC.

Wouldn't surprise me with this house!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back