1970's bungalow does it need a re-wire?

mred has now said Annt has lived there 30 years but at time of writting I did know know that she may have only lived there two years.

Although I PIR finds most faults it is wrong to make people believe it will find all faults.

Re-wire prices can vary and if you intend to get it done and want a few quotes do make sure you are getting the same thing.

Some may wire in Ali-tube which is an advantage not only for safety but it reduces interferance with all the wirless gear used today and would allow the freezer to be supplied without an RCD so less likely to trip in thunder storms etc. But it costs a little more. Same goes for RCBO's on all circuits or just twin RCD's. Also if isolators are fitted for fridge, dish washer, etc above the counter.

Have a look as some new show houses and see what can be included as new houses unlike re-wires need the little extra's to sell.

Even silly things like is the door bell included.

Sponsored Links
Not wanting to pre-empt but consider this.
Even if it was wired correctly in the first place,
even if nothing has been damaged in the first place (those are two big ifs).
Purely because of changes in standards some remedial work will need to be done as upgrading.
You will probably want more points and probably in different places to where they are now.
So the most prudent course of action, bearing in mind the other works you need doing, might just be to rewire from sctrach and this might be just the opportinuity to do it.
A registered competent person might be happy for you to do the chasing and boxes and help with running cables etc, so you might get a reasonable price for the best solution.
Good luck

cheers mate this is exactly what i am thinking.

cheers
mr ed

mred has now said Annt has lived there 30 years but at time of writting I did know know that she may have only lived there two years.

Although I PIR finds most faults it is wrong to make people believe it will find all faults.

Re-wire prices can vary and if you intend to get it done and want a few quotes do make sure you are getting the same thing.

Some may wire in Ali-tube which is an advantage not only for safety but it reduces interferance with all the wirless gear used today and would allow the freezer to be supplied without an RCD so less likely to trip in thunder storms etc. But it costs a little more. Same goes for RCBO's on all circuits or just twin RCD's. Also if isolators are fitted for fridge, dish washer, etc above the counter.

Have a look as some new show houses and see what can be included as new houses unlike re-wires need the little extra's to sell.

Even silly things like is the door bell included.

sorry ericmark i forgot to mention that she had been there 30 years i think i will end up getting it rewired cuz my girlfrind is wanting extra plugs everywhere lol :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back