Part P and Re-wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm undertaking completely re-wiriing my 1850's house in stages as I renovate it. The last re-wire would have been done in approximately 1970 I think. I was going to just leave it as it is but with the amount of junction boxes under the floorboards with 10+ wires going into each and the radial circuits with 10+ sockets on it I thought it would be best to replace it all bit by bit. I'm not an electrician but have worked with electrics for the past 10 years so I like to think I know what I'm doing. I'm not going to be replacing the consumer unit, that is going to be left to a certified electrician.

It got mentioned to me the other day about part p and I've being trying to research about it. From what I understand for work like I am doing I should of informed the local building control. What I don't understand is what they then do. Do they send someone out to take a look? Do they insist I submit wiring diagrams and cable routes? My plan was to do the work myself and then get in a certified electrician to look and test and then issue a certificate, is this not possible under part p?

The upstairs ring circuit has been already done (but not connected) and I'm currently re-wiring the upstairs lighting circuit (no earth in existing). I'm just about to move onto the bathroom and change a single pendant light with 4 halogen spots. I think I will give that part a miss until I've heard a reply on here about part p and whether I should be contacting building control before I start in the bathroom.

Grateful for any advice.

Thanks,
Paul.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back