Part 'P' Testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My father is a retired electrician (40 years service) and I'd like him to wire my extension. But as he retired just before the Part 'P' regs came into force he is not certified to pass out the electrics.

I've phone a couple of electricians to see if they could certify the work, but neither could or would do it.

So, I'm just wondering can a 3rd party certify my dad's 1st/2nd fix electrics?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Have a word with the local Building Control officer.

They may accept a certification from your father if he can show knowledge of and compliance with the requlations.

They may accept a certification from your father if he can show knowledge of and compliance with the requlations.

Thanks for the reply.

Just phoned Building control, they say they charge £250 to get a 'government approved' electrician to certify the work. It has to be by someone 'Part P' registered.

Does £250 sound about typical for testing?

That is one of the highest I have heard.

And I have never heard of "government approved electricians".

It does sound like the person you spoke to is not fully up to date on how to manage Part P procedures.

Sponsored Links

Thanks for the reply.

Just phoned Building control, they say they charge £250 to get a 'government approved' electrician to certify the work. It has to be by someone 'Part P' registered.

Does £250 sound about typical for testing?

I thought I'd read (on this site amongst other places) that LABC cannot pass on the charges of using a contract electician to do whatever testing they deem appropriate.

Sounds like LABC are encouraging you to run your entire extension off several trailing 13-amp 6-way sockets plugged into outlets in the existing house. :LOL:

This a new build extension? Then the building notice you submitted should cover you for part P as much as it does Parts A, B, etc As long as you didn't tell them that electrics would be done by someone who can push it through a self cert scheme, then you're cool for cats, the building officier is to inspect the electrical work as well as the structural work, etc (or subcontract someone at his expense if he isn't competant), It'd be a very good idea to work strictly to BS7671 to eliminate hiccups though... and that means your father should issue an electricial installation certificate... does he have calibrated test gear? I'm guessing not, has he a mate he could borrow some off?

Basically the fee you pay for the building notice covers inspections for all parts of the building regs, something which someone on here confirmed with the appropiate government office cos local building depts. seem to loose the plot when it comes to part p!

I'm in a similar position except that its me doing my wiring (I'm a competent person who is not registered with the self-certification scheme). I have agreed this with my LABC and they are fine about it.

However in studying the wording of the part P approved document, to me it is not entirely clear on what happens if an inspector will not accept my certification. The guidance just state that the LABC will decide what further action (if any) needs to be taken.

However for the case of someone who is not qualified to complete a certificate, the guidance is clear: The LABC may choose to get a qualified electrician to come in and do the work required for certification, at THEIR cost.

Assuming your Dad was fully qualified, just treat it that he is simply not registered, in which case your ONLY requirement is to provide the notification prior to starting work.

Thanks for al the replies so far. My dad says there was much confusion among BCOs and electricians when the P regs were about to come in.

It would appear confusion still exists on what a 'competent' sparky can do or not do. :rolleyes:

Personally I think the situation is awful. My dad's been in the industry 40 years and even used to teach the IEE regs. Yet is afraid to start 1st first fix incase some 'know-it-all' at the town hall tells him to rip it out and get a 'qualified' person to do it.

It is very simple.

Some work is notifiable and some is not.

If it is notifiable then there are two options.

1/ Use a Registered Domestic Installer who will do the work himself and notify it .

2/ Use a non registered person such as an electrician (or even yourself if you wish) but you must notify, including paying the fee 48 hours prior to commencement. The local authority may wish to inspect at first fix and when finished. They may accept a certificate from the person doing the work if they believe them to be competent. They may employ a third party to test & inspect but may not charge you extra for it and may not insist that you emply someone at your own expense.

If a building notice has been issued (say for an extension) then the fee includes everything including electrics and a seperate fee is not payable.

So your dad can do the electrics and certify or not - it`s up to him.
If a building notice was done for the extension then nothing else to pay.
If not then it should be notified and paid in advance.
If the works already been done and fees not paid then it should be regularised. This costs a little more than prenotifying but not much more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back