have a question on part p

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
a friend (well neighbor of mine ) has just had some work (electrical) done from what he tells me its a complete install
the question he asked me was ...... "could a registered electrician with part p certify someone elses work ..... im fairly certain he had the work done cheap... but can gather that it was an electrician and was told to get it signed off by someone else

my advice to him was have it certified under building control
am i right in saying that under no circumstances would a registered electrician will test and certify the install if so how will building control do it ?[/u]

Sponsored Links
I dont think you will find another electricain would sign off some one eleses work.
If they do they will, there is gong to be a big charge.
Your friend should notify building control espcially the so called electrian other wise there colud be big fines

a friend (well neighbor of mine ) has just had some work (electrical) done from what he tells me its a complete install
the question he asked me was ...... "could a registered electrician with part p certify someone elses work
No.

but can gather that it was an electrician and was told to get it signed off by someone else
Well that guy saw him coming didn't he?

Pay peanuts, expect monkeys...

my advice to him was have it certified under building control
That's all he can do now.

am i right in saying that under no circumstances would a registered electrician will test and certify the install
Yup.

if so how will building control do it ?[/u]
It varies - he'll find out when he contacts them.

Put it this way.
I am a registered DI (Electrician of many years standing too).
I would not certify someone elses work.

I "jump thru hoops" to belong to a scheme, I would not aid and abet someone else to short cut it - legal or not and believe me it is not)

That`s not to say I would not offer guidance.

If I chose to I could do a PIR (I`m qualified by experience and cerified to C & G 2391) , but I choose not to do so.

The only real certification is an EIC (or MWC) a PIR is not that.

Sponsored Links
I "jump thru hoops" to belong to a scheme,

Why do you feel you have to "jump through hoops"? All you need to do is run your business properly and the "scheme" will rubber stamp it.

If I chose to I could do a PIR (I`m qualified by experience and cerified to C & G 2391) , but I choose not to do so.

So if an LABC decided to accept PIRs in these circumstances, and contacted you offering to pay you to do one, you'd turn them down, would you?

Why do you feel you have to "jump through hoops"?

Its clear to me that he is referring all of the things that registered scheme members have to do. This being compared to folk who do notifiable work but are not registered members of schemes.

dont think he was aware these guys were not regesterd ... and he was clueless to the part p anyway

So if an LABC decided to accept PIRs in these circumstances, and contacted you offering to pay you to do one, you'd turn them down, would you?

Correct, I leave them to others.
My LABC did, prior to Part P, have someone who was contracted to give them a few hours each week for just such things. What the situation is now I don`t know

Put it this way.
I am a registered DI (Electrician of many years standing too).
I would not certify someone elses work.

I "jump thru hoops" to belong to a scheme, I would not aid and abet someone else to short cut it - legal or not and believe me it is not)

That`s not to say I would not offer guidance.

I was askled to sign off on other NON SKILLED no licensed folks and flatly refused as I will not pimp out my licenses. I do insist everything be removed and the job be filed and started all over again YOU sir are 1 million percent correct saying SCREW YOU to these low lives who look for cover ups

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back