House re-wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm thinking of having a full re-wire of my house done. My question is, how does this work?

I have a part p electrician who I've been told about and want to get him to do this, but does this mean that he will take care of all the paperwork and informing the council or do I have to do this?

Or do I have to apply for this via the council and then get the part p electrician to carry out the work?

What is the process and how does it work?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
An installer registered with a Competent Person Scheme is qualified to
carry out specific types of work in accordance with Building Regulations
and will deal with Building Control issues for you. You will usually have
access to insurance backed warranties and a robust complaints procedure
to use in the unlikely event work is found to be non compliant.

An installer registered with a Competent Person Scheme will notify the
local authority on your behalf and will issue you with a certificate on
completion which can be used as proof of compliance. It will also show up
on a solicitor’s local authority search when you sell your home.

No such thing as a part P electrician - If he is qualified to self certify then he will belong to one of the 'competent persons schemes' Napit, niciec, EAL etc.

Get three quotes!!!

The electrician will do all the paper work - you will receive a certificate of compliance from the appropriate scheme and they will inform your Local Authority Building Control.

You do have the alternative of either doing it yourself - if you feel confident and are competent enough or using a 'non registered' electrician. In either case the LABC fees can be between £300/400.

As above post have already mentioned.
Part P is building regulation not a qualification, what you need is a competent person, that can self cert.
Try this link:
http://www.competentperson.co.uk/
You can search for any competent person in your area or beyond, even put the electrician you have already got, if they can self cert there name will appear!
You can of course use an electrician that is not a member of a competent persons scheme, but then a notification to building controls must be made, there will be a fee sometimes quite a big one.
This must be done prior to work starting and it is your responsibility to make sure there is notification in place.
There are very good electricians that are not members of the scheme, so don't be put of by that, just make sure you have testimonies/references of their work!

Sponsored Links
I have a part p electrician who I've been told about.
Well - I hope he is actually recommended by someone you trust. I agree, get other quotes to make sure you aren't being taken for a ride, but personal recommendations are always the best way to find a reputable tradesman. If you're having to go ahead without much in the way of those, or references, don't put any store by registration itself - sadly it is possible to become registered with woefully inadequate qualifications and zero practical experience. You don't have to spend long here to see people cropping up who are registered and "qualified", but who are clearly seriously incompetent in reality and who should not be charging for their services.

You are looking for someone to rewire a house, and it may surprise and dismay you to learn that it is quite possible to become a "competent person" without ever having done that before, and without having acquired any of the practical skills needed to do it without half-destroying your house in the process.

It's your money, £'000s of it, and you have every right to ask prospective tradesmen what their qualifications and experience are. Just being listed here is not a good enough guide. No genuinely experienced electrician, with the "full set" of C&G qualifications will mind you asking - in fact he will wish that everyone was like you.

I feel sorry for people who have been misled by training organisations and (shamefully) the Competent Person scheme organisers into thinking that a 5-day training course, a couple of trivial examples of their work and some basic understanding of how to use test equipment will make them an electrician, but not sorry enough to agree with them trying to sell their services to Joe Public.

Thanks for that all, just wanted to know if I'd have to fill any forms out or approach the council myself for any reason.

It's good to know that I can just pay someone and they can carry the can and do everything that is needed.

It's good to know that I can just pay someone and they can carry the can and do everything that is needed.
Carry the can?
You are talking about an electrical installation, that is potentially life threaten if done incorrectly.
Carrying the can is not the way I would put it!

It might also be an idea to discover whether the house actually needs a full rewire. This is not something trivial if you're in residence while it goes on.. Factor in a couple of weeks of utter disruption, followed by complete redecoration of the property.

PJ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back