Will my electrician be able to issue me with the paperwork?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I'm soon to be getting a new kitchen fitted and my mate, who is an electrician for the local council will be doing the work of moving the sockets around for the oven and hob and installing some mains voltage downlights. What I'm wondering is, he is Part P certified through work. But will he be able to issue me with the relevant paperwork for doing the job or does his certification not cover him for "jobs outside of work"??

Sponsored Links
Ask him. Some employers are less strict about moonlighting than others.

Ask him. Some employers are less strict about moonlighting than others.

:LOL: I did..........he said something about it costing an extra £80 or something, which I wasn't sure about at the time i.e was he trying to rip me off or just put me off from asking him! :confused:

There's a wall coming out in the kitchen, which has two double sockets in it, an oven outlet (which will need extending to the far wall), a hood outlet and heating controls which all need moving. Plus all my other sockets need moving too, and I want 10 or so downlights fitted. He quoted me around £400. If there's an extra £80 on top, how does that compare to getting someone in for a legit "on the books" job?? Any ideas?

Doesnt sound bad. Sounds like a couple of days work, so dont expect much change out of £500.

The £80 he quoted was probably his cost for a standard DIY notification to the council's LABC.

I'd shop around and get a couple of quotes for a legit job. An electrician should charge no extra for documents.

Sponsored Links
I used to be the QS for my local council and strictly we weren't allowed to use the self certification process for our own work. I created my own company and we all notified through that, and now I've built that company up and gone on from there.

I suspect it is for getting the LABC in and he wouldn't notify through his employers scheme.

So if he says it's £80 or so extra on top of the £400 or so he quoted, would that be it? i.e I wouldn't have to pay extra for someone else to certify the work? Sorry for sounding dumb.........just I know absolutely nowt about these things. :oops:

Also, there's already an electric oven outlet in the kitchen, but like I say that needs extending to reach the back wall. Would a separate double oven and induction hob be able to go on the one circuit or whatever the technical term is for it? :LOL: From what I've read on the net, the oven is rated at 0.79kW and the hob 7.2kW. Does that sound right for an A rated electric oven? :confused:

So if he says it's £80 or so extra on top of the £400 or so he quoted, would that be it? i.e I wouldn't have to pay extra for someone else to certify the work? Sorry for sounding dumb.........just I know absolutely nowt about these things. :oops:
ASK HIM! We dont know what cunning plan he has up his sleeve!

From what I've read on the net, the oven is rated at 0.79kW and the hob 7.2kW. Does that sound right for an A rated electric oven? :confused:
No. I hope the oven's rating had an H on the end - 0.79kwh. Otherwise they are false advertising it. This is its energy rating, not its POWER rating. Its how much electric it saps per hour. You need the actual element rating.

The hob's rating sounds right.

The £80 he quoted was probably his cost for a standard DIY notification to the council's LABC.
Sounds cheap.

More likely the council there is one of the ones who charge a lower price for notifications from unregistered but qualified electricians.

The electrician came around tonight. I told him exactly what I wanted and what not and he advised me what was best. He also looked at the main circuit board(or whatever it's called) where all of our trip switches are :confused: He recommended I have that changed at some point, talking all technical on me :oops: It's been in there since around 1982 judging by the stickers on the thing, but I've no idea if this is actually the case. For installing new sockets for everything I want including under cabinet lighting, installing 12 low energy downlights, 4 pendant lights over island and a new consumer unit or whatever it is he wants £600. Is that a good deal?? As for the paperwork, he says his mate at work has set up something along the lines of what widdler mentions, and it would be his mate who supplies the paperwork after checking the installation, as he can't do it through work as they won't allow it.

sounds like a bargain, someone doing a job and then someone else saying they did it because the first guy can't. Tell him you wont pay him untill you have had your certificate and your corespondance from building control, see what he says. I know a 'plumber' who says that sort of thing to people who want him to fit a combi or whatever on the cheap, oh my mate signs off my work, thing is, his mate wont sign off his work atall, infact he found stuff wrong with one boiler install and wont even look at the work yet.

My point being, what will you do if man A does something and man B says it isnt right?????

You need to get someone in what can test and cwrtify their own work and notify building control for you, it seems to be a whole lot easier.

Like 1john says, you're entering a potential minefield going with this spark. If he is able to, why does he simply not join a self certification scheme himself? All sounds a bit dodgy and you might not have any comeback if there are problems later on and you can't get it notified.

Best bet is put in your postcode here and get some sparks in that can self certify work to give you some quotes. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back