Re-wiring a house - Local authority involvement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am not a qualified electrician/registered to any scheme. Over the years I have re-wired several houses and had different local authorities inspect first fix, test after completion and issue a completion certificate.

The house I am about to start a re-furbishment and re-wire the local authority say that if I am not registered to Part P, I have to have studied for exams and have some form of qualification if I am to re-wire a house. I have explained that I have re-wired other houses in other boroughs. The question I have is - What they are saying, is this correct?

Normally I use an electrician to discuss the re-wire, the circuits etc and then do the first fix, he comes and looks at my work before I contact the local authority to inspect the first fix. In the past the local authorities come and inspect themselves or sub contract to an electrician.

Sponsored Links
I think that they are questiong whether or not you are a "competant person" & asking for qualifcations as proof, but I do not think they are entitled to do that & I would speak to the head of building control if I were you. Under part p they are obliged to test & inspect your work as long as you pay their fees & I don't think they can question your competance unless they have evidence to the contrary.

There's no requirement for a non-registered installer using the notification route to demonstrate they are a competent person. Neither the formal definition - i.e. being a member of a Part P competent person scheme; nor a casual definition - i.e. just being 'up to the job'. The latter will be determined in the inspections and testing.

However, the LABCs are a law unto themselves and it seems entirely up to them whether they operate in the spirit of the approved docs, and specific instruction from central government, or not! My LABC, for example, has said they will inspect but not test - I must arrange and pay for a PIR. I've left it at that for now, whilst I complete first fix and get inspected etc etc, but have yet to decide whether I'll pay for the PIR for a quiet life, or get it out of them through a judicial review!

Good luck!

Liam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back