Extra sockets in old property

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a bungalow, built about 1962, which requires extensive modernisation, including re-wiring.

I have an electronic/electrical background and have done lots of electrical work on previous houses I have owned.

I am not on the Competent Person Scheme, however, I have applied through my local authority to do the work myself and have it inspected by them or their agents.

I have a question regarding adding extra sockets. The existing positions are about 5” above the skirting boards. Can I add extra at the same height in order to match the positions?

Sponsored Links
It depends, if it was just a rewire then yes but depending on the extent of the renovation and the attitude of your LABC they may insist on the rewired sockets being at the new heights. I'd suggest reading through "approved document M" yourself.

Do the heights apply of the sockets are sat in plastic skirting trunking?

What is the purpose of stipulating the socket heights?

Sorry, just being nosey!!

D

Yes!

Sockets in new build properties (and certain others) are required to be a minimum of 450mm above finished floor level, and light switches below 1200mm

It is a requirement of part M of the building regs so that a disabled person such as a wheel chair user can still access them.

Some LABCs insist on the part M heights being used if the property is refurbished, but opinion does seem to vary, so as always, make sure you check with your particular LABC for clarification. They have to power to make you move all your accessories to the compliant heights if they decide so.

Sponsored Links
requires extensive modernisation, including re-wiring.
Can I add extra at the same height in order to match the positions?

Surely as you are rewiring, all of the sockets will be replaced, so the position of old ones isn't an issue?

The new sockets should go at the required heights. They are much easier to reach for everyone, wheelchairs or not.

I disagree. For a refurb, you should be able to put the sockets where you like. Especially if this is to match other outlets. I have never come across a BCO who has stipulated Part M for a refurb, except for where Part M was already addressed.

Obviously some BCOs have asked for Part M, as RF has pointed out. But I would have thought that Part M would not be enforced for a partial rewire.

I had a kitchen utility extension built 3 years ago which I wired and had inspected and tested by my LABC.

Their interpretation was that the property must not be any worse for disabled use than it previously was, so although the extension was new, it is part of an existing property and were happy to allowed the light switches and sockets to be at the same height as the existing which I did for continunity & aesthetics.

But I did check with them beforehand as I had heard that not all LABC's have the same interpretation.

Thanks for all the advice. I have contacted my LABC and they said that the 450mm & 1200 minimum heights did not apply as I was rewiring existing and adding to pre-existing switch & socket positions. It is good advice to get it straight from the LABC as to their interpretation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back