Adding sockets & lights in extension (Part P Req?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having an extension done soon and I obviously need to put sockets & lights in it. I've done quite a bit of electrical work in the past but haven't got Part P. :rolleyes:

I don't intend to put in another fuseway I was just going to splice into the relevant circuits and add the extra sockets & lights to the existing circuits. Non of this work is in a 'Special location'.

I seem to remember that adding extra sockets / lights is non-notifiable if not in 'Special locations'. Is that the case with an extension?

I await your words of wisdom....... ;)

Dave.

Sponsored Links
I think your LABC will want a certificate, why not seperate circuits?

Nice new CU with dual RCD!!

Either way I would ask your LABC what they want

Consumer unit isn't old. :(

Was just going to put the upstairs onto the existing and the same for downstairs. All cables are really easy to get at. :rolleyes:

Think you are correct though the BCO will want a cert. :mad:

Not sure the BCO will want certs. These are minor works as they are not in a special location and you are extending existing circuits. If I am correct it would be good practice to do a Minor Works Cert for safety reasons and retain this yourself. The work should be compliant with Part P but is not notifiable to the Local Authoity

Sponsored Links
Adding sockets or lights to existing circuits which doesn't involve work in a special location, a kitchen or work on a special installation is non notifable.
Was the electrical installation designed before 1/7/08?

I'm having an extension done soon and I obviously need to put sockets & lights in it. I've done quite a bit of electrical work in the past but haven't got Part P. :rolleyes:
Have you got Part A? Part B? Part C? Part D? Part E? Part F? Part G? Part H? Part J? Part K? Part L? Part M? Part N?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back