House re-wire without being Part P registered

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am I right in saying that anybody can do a complete re-wire on a house (in Wales) as long as the local buildings control are notified ? It looks like in Conwy at least that you have to pay an additional fee (about £250) for electrical works for them to ensure it is done to the regs and for it to be tested.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Am I right in saying that anybody can do a complete re-wire on a house (in Wales) as long as the local buildings control are notified ?
Almost.

Anybody who is competent may do it.

Which brings us on to....

There's quite a lot to know and to get right when rewiring a house, and there is testing needed which can't really be covered by the LABC inspection, so what makes you think you have the necessary knowledge, skills and test equipment?

Yes, you're right; however look at the posts under 'Today's Paper' which show that the law is changing so it could be cheaper and maybe easier to use a certified registered person to oversee the work.
This will open the doors for professional sparks to become consultants on the type of work which is done in bits and thus not worth the professional's time (etc) and so are often done as DIY. IMHO, an excellent idea which could improve things for budding DIYers, keep us safe and provide sensible work for those who've taken the time and effort to gain qualifications and experience.

Thanks ban-all-sheds.
Well I know there is a lot to get right but I have done quite a bit of electrics over the years and have studied the regs in quite a bit of depth. I was hoping to do the works with the help of an electrician friend's advice (who lives in Scotland and is not part P registered). My logic was that the buildings inspector would pick up on it if I did try to do anything that doesn't comply. I know it doesn't compare with a lifetime of knowledge and experience that some of the good sparkys have got but I asked a couple of local electricians for advice and they told me things that I know are simply not correct which put me off using them. I don't want to pay for that sort of service and it's impossible for me know who to trust so I would rather take my time and do it properly. (No offense to all the honest, reliable electricians out there).
I did toy with the idea of getting certified but it costs too much for one job on my own house.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you're right; however look at the posts under 'Today's Paper' which show that the law is changing so it could be cheaper and maybe easier to use a certified registered person to oversee the work.
It could be but:
(a) BAS doesn't believe it's true - but that seems a bit far-fetched!
(b) We don't know what the 'certified registered person' would charge
(c) We don't know what LA's would charge for use of this process - it might not be anything like as trivial as what they charge for self-certification 'notifications'.

Kind Regards, John

Assuming the draft document doing the rounds is adopted.

Please note that the person who is checking and notifying the work done by an unregistered electrician will have to hold the status of a Registered third Party

This is NOT the same as the current state of grace which allows registered electricians to notify their own work.

These demi-Gods will have to go through additional hoops and throw more money at the scam providers for the privilege of glaring at work done by people who believe they are competent in electrical installation.

Its a complete pile of poo already and its going to get pooier*

You wait, pooier will be in the OED next year!

PS I know its a Dutch word..

Thanks Viewer and John. Interesting reading. I don't think it would really make a difference for a total re-wire though.

Just out of interest, can anybody give me a very rough guestimate of what a decent electrian would charge for a complete re-wire (everything from new consumer unit, new cabling, new sockets etc.) Suspended timber floor and solid walls. 4 bed semi with two additional bedrooms on the 2nd floor.
Thanks.

Assuming the draft document doing the rounds is adopted.
As has been noted, the new Approved Doc P is no longer a draft.
Please note that the person who is checking and notifying the work done by an unregistered electrician will have to hold the status of a Registered third Party ... This is NOT the same as the current state of grace which allows registered electricians to notify their own work.
Well, that's what the AP says. However, as BAS has pointed out, the proposed amendments to the SI (i.e. 'the law') appear to make no mention of any of this - so who/what is going to defefine what a "registered third party certifier" actually is?!

Kind Regards, John

(a) BAS doesn't believe it's true - but that seems a bit far-fetched!
I do now. :oops:

(b) We don't know what the 'certified registered person' would charge
Nor do we know how many there are, or will be in April.

(c) We don't know what LA's would charge for use of this process - it might not be anything like as trivial as what they charge for self-certification 'notifications'.
We know that - they will charge nothing, as they aren't involved. They don't know the work is happening until after it is done and the Approved Inspector tells them it was done and it complied.

Please note that the person who is checking and notifying the work done by an unregistered electrician will have to hold the status of a Registered third Party ... This is NOT the same as the current state of grace which allows registered electricians to notify their own work.
It's also worth noting that Approved Inspectors are not allowed to have any financial interest in the work itself so being a registered third-party Certifier with {insert-scheme-name-of-your-choice} won't negate the need to also be a registered competent person if you want to certify your own work.

Just a thought; the online example through BAS' link states "England". Probably will be identical for Wales but whether true for Scotland I've no idea; certainly there are differences in some building requirements.

No. Just to make things easy -

Wales is not going along with these changes and

Scotland will continue to be more sensible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back