1970's Wylex Standard - Part P and a story!!

all the Wylex MCBs in my loft have labels saying "fitted in 2004" :LOL:

Sponsored Links
them old boards are extremely dangerous mate live bars etc and you shouldnt really being doing it unless your a competent electrician, and you really shouldnt be working on live stuff with just you on the premises incase you have an accident :cry: your unsure as to what you find and no way of an isolation, im only saying this for your safety.

I'm all in favour of safety, but do you know how MCBs (and fuses) are fitted to a Wylex standard? it's a plug-in part accessible from the outside (no need to open the CU) and the slots it plugs into are covered with insulating shields to prevent finger contact.

The MCB is modelled on the removable rewirable fuseholders, and can be pulled out/pushed in the same way. The Standard CU was designed to be used like that.

The busbar is not live when the main switch is off. Only the incoming terminals remain live and on later models of Standard these have a plastic cover (covers can be retrofited to old ones).

not like modern ones where you have screw terminals at one or both ends of an MCB.

Erm as far as i can remember, you have to take those plastic sheilds off which take the old rewirable fuses and replace them with the new ones to take the MCBs. Because the plastic sheilds have different sized holes in.

I mean as long as you knock off the main switch you should be alrite.

Sponsored Links
Afaict it is changing the type of protective device on the circuit at that is notifiable.

P.S. the part P law does not say that like for like replacement is notifiable though some guidance documents do.

OK cutting to the chase.

Assume following

a) I am competent enough to change fuse for MCB without my hair going on end.
b) Beryl doesn't blagg me to the part p police.

Can I change these things or not??

" SCHEDULE 2B
Regulation 12(5)

DESCRIPTIONS OF WORK WHERE NO BUILDING NOTICE OR DEPOSIT OF FULL PLANS REQUIRED

1. Work consisting of -

(a) replacing any socket-outlet, control switch or ceiling rose;

(b) replacing a damaged cable for a single circuit only;

(c) re-fixing or replacing enclosures of existing installation components, where the circuit protective measures are unaffected;

(d) providing mechanical protection to an existing fixed installation, where the circuit protective measures and current carrying capacity of conductors are unaffected by the increased thermal insulation.

etc etc....

you can change sockets, switches, or ceiling roses ( and by logical extension light fittings.. )

but it looks like changing fuses and breaker ratings / types etc is a no no..

Damm it. My Christian spirit will have to go somewhere else.

Beryl will just have to fry next time she get's it wrong. :D :D :D and I'll have to find another baby sitter.

Thanks for the part p advice all the same.

;)

Good post rjb. Seems like your stuck between a rock and hard place my friend.

I know what I would do. ;)

Regards

Ed

as a favour for a sweet old lady and family friend, I think we know what most of the sparkys on here would do.. ( we can come up with some excuse that it needed upgrading on a safety issue or something.. we have an obligation to not leave a premises in an unsafe state... )

but then again we have the test gear to do it right and test the install even if we did do it in an emergency..

I know what 99.9999999% of people would do ;)

Blame them pesky MCB fairys :LOL:

Could you define the circuit breaker as a control switch, as it has a switch on the front, and does control the flow of current to the circuit. Then do it under 1a? This says you can replace ANY ..... , control switch, ... etc which suggests that they are not fussy about what switches, or types of switch you can work on.

you're trying to dance on the head of a pin there...

Just leave the MCBs on the doorstep wih a saucer of milk, and the little people will magically got back in time and fit it for you in 2004.

"It was like that when I got here"

trog.. no..

a breaker is not a switch, it's not designed for functional or emergency switching..
it's a circuit protective device..

( though by that definition, you can't change the rating of a fuse in a fused spur...??? )

I agree with the voice of reason here.

Beryl with plug in MCB to flick is safer than Beryl, in the dark, trying to replace a 5A rewireable fuse with 30A fuse wire.

I'm sure that I could find some pre 2005 plug ins for you..... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back