1970's Wylex Standard - Part P and a story!!

rjb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved up to the Midlands not too long ago and don't have any family here, but we have befriended a really nice lady (retired and on her own who babysits for us upon request.

Anyway she phoned me up last night and the conversation went like this.

"You would be ever so proud of me"
"Oh really?"
"My downstairs lights turned off and I've managed to get them working again"
"How?"
"I re-wired the fuse all by myself"
"Well done. What size fuse wire did you use?"
"What do you mean?"
"What size was the fuse wire you used when you re-wired the fuse"
".........(pause)...about inch and a half! You should know that you're trying to become an electrician!"
"I'll come round and have a look"

Anyway she had managed to use 30A wire in the 5amp fuse :eek:

So I changed it over for her.

My question is (eventually) If I was to change her Wylex standard fuses over for MCB one that fit the CU. Does this come under scope of Part P or not. I know replacing CU does, but is this replacing CU in regards of Part P.

Also where is best place to get these MCB replacements.

Sponsored Links
John,

I think I've done profile change correctly, but computer and me go together like cats and baths!

Sponsored Links
Sorry John. I think I put wrong e-mail address down. I have changed it to a yahoo address.

Can you send again!!

(As I said Cats and Baths :!: )

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Consumer_Units_Index/Wylex_Standard_Range/index.html

XWYB6.JPG

Thanks for product needed. But, is changing them come under Part P? If not I better not touch them.

Thanks for product needed. But, does changing them come under Part P?

Sorry repeated post somehow!

Thorny one...

Replacement work that doens't involve any changed to fixed wiring is non-notifiable, but consumer units are exempt from this, but parts of, I'n not sure, I don't think I'd see replacing a broken breaker for one of the same type and rating as notifiable, but different rating or type, probbaly would be... (at least to my mind)

But by changing a BS3036 fuse for a BSEN60898 breaker you are changing circuit characteristics

In your situation, I'd be tempted to measure the EFLI, and if its alright for the new protective devices, just bang them in and keep the old 3036 so you can 'undo' the work if necessary, probably not 100% politically correct, but better than 30A elements in 5A carriers!!

But by changing a BS3036 fuse for a BSEN60898 breaker you are changing circuit characteristics

I am but shouldn't it make circuit uprated as there is no correction factor for BS3036 fuse?

there are milions of those old Wylexes in the country

I estimate the proportion of people that Notify when they fit MCBs is approx 0.0000000%

Maximum Zs value for B type BSEN60898 MCBs are a little tighter than those for BS3036 when comparing against the 5second values for the nearest equivelent rating, and in the case if 5/6A comparison, the MCB Zs max is tighter than the 0.4second value as well

Specifically in reply to the OPs original post. By the letter of the law, this is notifiable under Part P as you will be changing the "Circuit Protective Measures" These MCB's have been abound for years. Shame she didn't replace them before 2005. ;)

i dont think you should carry out this work mate unless you really understand what your doing my understanding of part p was that you could only carry out minor ie just changing sockets and stuff, but correct me if im wrong,

and if you do decide to carry out the work remember when you have disconnected it rememer the service head end will be live :oops:

and if you do decide to carry out the work remember when you have disconnected it rememer the service head end will be live :oops:

Did you read the original post? OP wants to change rewireable fuses to MCBs. Personally I'd just get on with the job, part P or not, with the correct MCBs it will surely be safer than said old lady trying to put 30A fusewire in a 5A carrier!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back